Using toolbox with Big Sur and M1 MacBook?

Ok, that’s what you need. So Apples ideas of security are probably not getting in the way this time, at least not in an obvious way.

Ok, there is afaics only one true keyboard device in that list, which does get properly selected, so keyboard enumeration/detection/selection does not seem to be a problem either.

I guess this means we are pretty much done here, as this has taken up more than enough unpaid work time of myself, multiple hours lost by now. This doesn’t look like an easy and quick fix, more like the usual “down the rabbit hole” of dealing with Apples abominations of software engineering. I think we do have some users on macOS 11 + IntelMac which did not report keyboard trouble, and i assume the external keyboard works otherwise fine on other Macs, so these are new M1 specific screwups.

If you want, you can check if KbQueueDemo works any better - i doubt it. Or call setenv('PSYCHHID_TELLME', '1'); and then run KbQueueCreate for some debug output.

Or call the regular KbCheck(-GetKeyboardIndices()), passing in the negated value of the keyboard index, to output some low-level debug output.
Maybe it helps at some point to diagnose further, once somebody commits to pay all the required work time.

I will put a warning on our website that M1 is completely unsupported with PTB for the foreseeable future. But as we learned in this thread, installing Ubuntu Linux for ARM / RaspberryPi in a virtual machine seems to be a much better working solution for toy applications and learning, so Linux to the rescue…
Post for reference: Using toolbox with Big Sur and M1 MacBook? - #4 by msamy

-mario