Best supported hardware for Psychtoolbox

Hello,

I am thinking of a designated computer for an experiment involving Psychtoolbox, and a Wacom tablet.
I am experimenting Psychtoolbox since few weeks, and encounter different issues depending the OS. I understand that MacOS is not recommend, computer with intel and nvidia card can also show some issue. It seems that Linux is a good option.

Is Linux much better for Psychtoolbox rather than window ?
Which option is better running it on octave or matlab (in linux) ?
Which option provide the best stability, Ubuntu or using the NeuroDebian ?

Thank you,

All the best,

Alex

Yes, go linux with amd graphics or intel if you can

1 Like

Is Linux much better for Psychtoolbox rather than window ?

Yes, much better!

Which option is better running it on octave or matlab (in linux) ?

Both work well, some things have been better tested by Mario under Octave IIRC but there should be no incompatibility between the two. Octave is generally easier to install and manage; MATLAB under Linux is not always stable (Mathworks seems serially incapable of supporting OpenGL reliably, but the workarounds are trivial, use the matlab-support package). I much prefer to write using an object oriented programming style, and sadly Octave’s support is still many versions behind MATLAB’s…

Which option provide the best stability, Ubuntu or using the NeuroDebian ?

Ubuntu is a Debian derivative, so you can utilise Neurodebian on top of Ubuntu without issue. So stick to Ubuntu for the base OS install as there is much more online help for when things go wrong with it. You can then install Neurodebian on top of Ubuntu to get you PTB. Or just install PTB yourself via the download script, or directly from Github etc. depending on your technical skillset…

1 Like