Daqtest and USB-1208FS

Hi list,
Today I unpacked my new USB-1208FS and the first thing I did was plug it in and run DaqTest.
Found the device, flashed the LED then I was instructed to look at the screen and watch a bunch of text. The text flashed by and then the program error-ed out (unfortunately, I started debugging before reading the specific error message as I thought it would be reproducible; however, I suspect it was in the memory testing) . Now DaqTest can't find the device, my USB-1208FS has no serial number, has a new ProductID, is listed as product USB-1208FS Bootloader, is unrecognized by Daqfind (No daq found), DaqDeviceIndex returns '[ ]', etc... also, the LED continuously flashes.

Have tried the obvious:
unplugged/replugged
quit restarted matlab
rebooted computer
tried on a different computer
unplugged for 10minutes and re-plugged in.
LED just flashes and flashes... taunting.

Can anyone help get me back on track?
Thanks!
GPC

=======================
Gideon P. Caplovitz
Assistant Professor
Department of Psychology
University of Nevada Reno
gcaplovitz@...
http://wolfweb.unr.edu/~gcaplovitz
=======================
Sorry to hear that, although i can't be of any help, i don't have any such device for testing. But looking at the code of DaqTest it seems all the potentially dangerous functions, e.g., changing serial numbers of rewriting memory, are disabled in DaqTest since many years? Was your ptb up to date?

If nobody else has an idea, maybe you should contact the manufacturer for assistance.

-mario

--- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "Gideon P. Caplovitz" <gcaplovi@...> wrote:
>
> Hi list,
> Today I unpacked my new USB-1208FS and the first thing I did was plug it in and run DaqTest.
> Found the device, flashed the LED then I was instructed to look at the screen and watch a bunch of text. The text flashed by and then the program error-ed out (unfortunately, I started debugging before reading the specific error message as I thought it would be reproducible; however, I suspect it was in the memory testing) . Now DaqTest can't find the device, my USB-1208FS has no serial number, has a new ProductID, is listed as product USB-1208FS Bootloader, is unrecognized by Daqfind (No daq found), DaqDeviceIndex returns '[ ]', etc... also, the LED continuously flashes.
>
> Have tried the obvious:
> unplugged/replugged
> quit restarted matlab
> rebooted computer
> tried on a different computer
> unplugged for 10minutes and re-plugged in.
> LED just flashes and flashes... taunting.
>
> Can anyone help get me back on track?
> Thanks!
> GPC
>
> =======================
> Gideon P. Caplovitz
> Assistant Professor
> Department of Psychology
> University of Nevada Reno
> gcaplovitz@...
> http://wolfweb.unr.edu/~gcaplovitz
> =======================
>
OK so i rang Measurement Computing technical support and they told me to try upgrade the firmware on the USB-1608FS.

I did this using a) (simple update) and then b) (involved adjustment inside the DAQ) methods listed on the following file:

ftp://ftp.mccdaq.com/downloads/Firmware/USB-1608FS/ReadMeUSB-1608FS.pdf

Both of these did not work and resulted in the same error:

Firstly I got this when the DAQ was working correctly and the LED was on and NOT flashing:

>> DAQTest

Yay. I found a USB-1608FS daq! Serial number is: 0182C209

** If you want to run all the tests we have here, you should connect analog
** port 0 (pin 1) to the first bit of the digital port (pin 21). If you would
** like to test your counter, you should also connect pin 21 to the counter
** terminal (pin 38). Measurement Computing recommends that you ground any
** analog ports that you are not using. To follow that advice, connect pin 3
** to pin 4, pin 5 to pin 6, pin 7 to pin 8, pin 9 to pin 10, pin 11 to pin 12,
** pin 13 to pin 14, and pin 15 to pin 16.

Testing my ability to read and write your daq device's EEPROM...ReceiveReports (249): source[8] 0000 != current source 263f1d10.

Memory was apparently read successfully...
Memory was apparently written successfully...
I just read what I wrote, and it looks like I wrote what I thought I wrote!
EEPROM of your daq device has been restored to what it was before this test began.
So far so good!

Moving on to test mode changes...
Successfully toggled sync status bit. Moving on...
Successfully toggled trigger status bit. Moving on...GetStatus SetReport error 0xE000404F. kIOUSBPipeStalled: Pipe has stalled, error needs to be cleared.
??? Attempt to reference field of non-structure array.

Error in ==> DaqTest at 439
if xor(TheStatus.program,NewStatus.program)

After this the LED continuously flashes. The DAQ appears to be reset when I upgrade the firmware using a PC.

Then when I run the DAQTest again I get the following error:

>> DaqTest

DaqBlinkLED SetReport error 0xE00002D9. kIOReturnNotAttached: A 'device not attached' condition was detected by one of the general routines of the I/O Kit framework.

Uh oh... there was a problem when I told your device to blink its LED.
I haven't seen this before, so I don't know what's going on. This is
what PsychHID told me about the problem, though:

err =

n: -536870183
name: 'kIOReturnNotAttached'
description: 'A 'device not attached' condition was detected by one of the general routines of the I/O Kit framework.'

I'll let you try to fix the problem and then come back to me. Bailing now!

I'll be ringing back the technical support at Measurement Computing but they did mention that they upgraded the board recently which may be causing the errors experienced by me and the 1208FS.

I've no idea what to do so if anyone figures anything out please let me know.

I'll keep posting regarding my progress with this issue.

Alan

--- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "masondar123" <nalaarmstrong@...> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have the exact same problem except it is with my brand new USB-1608FS. Did you happen to have any luck trying to fix your problem???
>
> thanks,
>
> Alan
>
> --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "Mario" <mario.kleiner@> wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> > Sorry to hear that, although i can't be of any help, i don't have any such device for testing. But looking at the code of DaqTest it seems all the potentially dangerous functions, e.g., changing serial numbers of rewriting memory, are disabled in DaqTest since many years? Was your ptb up to date?
> >
> > If nobody else has an idea, maybe you should contact the manufacturer for assistance.
> >
> > -mario
> >
> > --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "Gideon P. Caplovitz" <gcaplovi@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi list,
> > > Today I unpacked my new USB-1208FS and the first thing I did was plug it in and run DaqTest.
> > > Found the device, flashed the LED then I was instructed to look at the screen and watch a bunch of text. The text flashed by and then the program error-ed out (unfortunately, I started debugging before reading the specific error message as I thought it would be reproducible; however, I suspect it was in the memory testing) . Now DaqTest can't find the device, my USB-1208FS has no serial number, has a new ProductID, is listed as product USB-1208FS Bootloader, is unrecognized by Daqfind (No daq found), DaqDeviceIndex returns '[ ]', etc... also, the LED continuously flashes.
> > >
> > > Have tried the obvious:
> > > unplugged/replugged
> > > quit restarted matlab
> > > rebooted computer
> > > tried on a different computer
> > > unplugged for 10minutes and re-plugged in.
> > > LED just flashes and flashes... taunting.
> > >
> > > Can anyone help get me back on track?
> > > Thanks!
> > > GPC
> > >
> > > =======================
> > > Gideon P. Caplovitz
> > > Assistant Professor
> > > Department of Psychology
> > > University of Nevada Reno
> > > gcaplovitz@
> > > http://wolfweb.unr.edu/~gcaplovitz
> > >
> >
>
Do the other Daq functions work? I have the same problem with DaqTest (USB-1208FS) but other functions such as DaqDIn, DaqDOut, DaqAIn, seem to work fine.

On 27 March 2013 18:51, masondar123 <nalaarmstrong@...> wrote:

OK so i rang Measurement Computing technical support and they told me to try upgrade the firmware on the USB-1608FS.

I did this using a) (simple update) and then b) (involved adjustment inside the DAQ) methods listed on the following file:

ftp://ftp.mccdaq.com/downloads/Firmware/USB-1608FS/ReadMeUSB-1608FS.pdf

Both of these did not work and resulted in the same error:

Firstly I got this when the DAQ was working correctly and the LED was on and NOT flashing:

>> DAQTest

** If you want to run all the tests we have here, you should connect analog
** port 0 (pin 1) to the first bit of the digital port (pin 21). If you would
** like to test your counter, you should also connect pin 21 to the counter
** terminal (pin 38). Measurement Computing recommends that you ground any
** analog ports that you are not using. To follow that advice, connect pin 3
** to pin 4, pin 5 to pin 6, pin 7 to pin 8, pin 9 to pin 10, pin 11 to pin 12,
** pin 13 to pin 14, and pin 15 to pin 16.

Testing my ability to read and write your daq device's EEPROM...ReceiveReports (249): source[8] 0000 != current source 263f1d10.

Memory was apparently read successfully...
Memory was apparently written successfully...
I just read what I wrote, and it looks like I wrote what I thought I wrote!
EEPROM of your daq device has been restored to what it was before this test began.
So far so good!

Moving on to test mode changes...
Successfully toggled sync status bit. Moving on...
Successfully toggled trigger status bit. Moving on...GetStatus SetReport error 0xE000404F. kIOUSBPipeStalled: Pipe has stalled, error needs to be cleared.
??? Attempt to reference field of non-structure array.

Error in ==> DaqTest at 439
if xor(TheStatus.program,NewStatus.program)

After this the LED continuously flashes. The DAQ appears to be reset when I upgrade the firmware using a PC.

Then when I run the DAQTest again I get the following error:

>> DaqTest

DaqBlinkLED SetReport error 0xE00002D9. kIOReturnNotAttached: A 'device not attached' condition was detected by one of the general routines of the I/O Kit framework.

Uh oh... there was a problem when I told your device to blink its LED.
I haven't seen this before, so I don't know what's going on. This is
what PsychHID told me about the problem, though:

err =

n: -536870183
name: 'kIOReturnNotAttached'
description: 'A 'device not attached' condition was detected by one of the general routines of the I/O Kit framework.'

I'll let you try to fix the problem and then come back to me. Bailing now!

I'll be ringing back the technical support at Measurement Computing but they did mention that they upgraded the board recently which may be causing the errors experienced by me and the 1208FS.

I've no idea what to do so if anyone figures anything out please let me know.

I'll keep posting regarding my progress with this issue.

Alan

>
> Hi,
>
> I have the exact same problem except it is with my brand new USB-1608FS. Did you happen to have any luck trying to fix your problem???
>
> thanks,
>
> Alan
>
> --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "Mario" <mario.kleiner@> wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> > Sorry to hear that, although i can't be of any help, i don't have any such device for testing. But looking at the code of DaqTest it seems all the potentially dangerous functions, e.g., changing serial numbers of rewriting memory, are disabled in DaqTest since many years? Was your ptb up to date?
> >
> > If nobody else has an idea, maybe you should contact the manufacturer for assistance.
> >
> > -mario
> >
> > --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "Gideon P. Caplovitz" <gcaplovi@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi list,
> > > Today I unpacked my new USB-1208FS and the first thing I did was plug it in and run DaqTest.
> > > Found the device, flashed the LED then I was instructed to look at the screen and watch a bunch of text. The text flashed by and then the program error-ed out (unfortunately, I started debugging before reading the specific error message as I thought it would be reproducible; however, I suspect it was in the memory testing) . Now DaqTest can't find the device, my USB-1208FS has no serial number, has a new ProductID, is listed as product USB-1208FS Bootloader, is unrecognized by Daqfind (No daq found), DaqDeviceIndex returns '[ ]', etc... also, the LED continuously flashes.
> > >
> > > Have tried the obvious:
> > > unplugged/replugged
> > > quit restarted matlab
> > > rebooted computer
> > > tried on a different computer
> > > unplugged for 10minutes and re-plugged in.
> > > LED just flashes and flashes... taunting.
> > >
> > > Can anyone help get me back on track?
> > > Thanks!
> > > GPC
> > >
> > > Gideon P. Caplovitz
> > > Assistant Professor
> > > Department of Psychology
> > > University of Nevada Reno
> > > gcaplovitz@
> > > http://wolfweb.unr.edu/~gcaplovitz
> > >
> >
>

for anyone interested I figured out the problem. For some reason Apple randomly assigns the wrong device indexes sometimes to the 7 devices and tries to call an apple device.

I adjusted for this using some of the post you suggested, Ian.

Thanks,

Alan

--- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, Ian Mackenzie <ian.mackenzie@...> wrote:
>
> no, I also had issues with DaqAInScan. My "solution" at the time was to
> loop over DaqAIn. This worked for approx. 1000 samples/second.
>
> http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/psychtoolbox/message/14489
>
> I have not had a chance to look again at DaqAInScan.
>
> Ian.
>
Would you mind sharing the adjusted code?
thanks, W.

>
> for anyone interested I figured out the problem. For some reason Apple randomly assigns the wrong device indexes sometimes to the 7 devices and tries to call an apple device.
>
> I adjusted for this using some of the post you suggested, Ian.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan
>
>
> --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, Ian Mackenzie <ian.mackenzie@> wrote:
> >
> > no, I also had issues with DaqAInScan. My "solution" at the time was to
> > loop over DaqAIn. This worked for approx. 1000 samples/second.
> >
> > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/psychtoolbox/message/14489
> >
> > I have not had a chance to look again at DaqAInScan.
> >
> > Ian.
> >
>