Modern OLED displays for vision science

Hello PTB forum users,

I know this topic comes up every so often in different lists, but to my surprise there doesn’t seem to be a recent post on the topic on here.

I am looking to purchase a commercial monitor as a “backup” monitor for vision science experiments in my lab. I would be very grateful if anyone would share any positive recent experience using a modern (e.g. LED, QLED, OLED, etc) monitor for experiments.

For this display, I am aiming to cover luminance and colour accuracy and spatial resolution. Temporal resolution is of secondary importance, since my primary display has that covered. The relative absence of “smart” features is also of primary importance. I am particularly interested in anyone’s experience with OLED monitors. I am aware of relevant papers (such as Elze et al and Cooper et al), but these are now several years out-of-date. I am hoping that someone has taken the plunge to try out a modern monitor, and that some of the identified issues might be fixed or have workarounds.

Any pointers much appreciated.

Can’t give any informed advice on that specific question, but something loosely related came up today in the press.

You said timing is not of importance in your case, but for people who want to take advantage of Psychtoolbox + LInux + AMD graphics uniquely advanced VRR support for fine-grained timing, VESA just put out a press release about a new official display certification program wrt. VRR/DisplayPort adaptive sync/FreeSync/G-Sync variable refresh rate displays. See this website:

https://www.adaptivesync.org/

So while the VESA DisplayHDR certifications say something about minimum standards wrt. HDR, color gamut, etc., this new VESA AdaptiveSync certification, if found on a product, will be another way to ensure some minimum standards wrt. temporal display behavior, display flicker, etc., in addition to AMD’s FreeSync Premium Pro Logo certification and NVidia G-Sync certification.

-mario

Thanks Mario, that’s very helpful.

Best,

Tom

Those certifications should at least provide some minimal standards, one would hope. Buried in my browser bookmarks, there’s also this page of a vision science lab, with some older reviews and links to other common display test sites, which may be generally useful.

I just added this link also to our Wiki section about user feedback to display devices. The Wiki is user editable, and sadly that section hasn’t seen user contributions in a long time:

-mario

1 Like

I’ve tested a couple of recent gaming monitors, one of which was 10-bit capable:

Thanks Mario and Ian for the replies, and Ian for sharing the detail in the other thread.

Hi @tomwallis! Did you find anything good in the end? I’m searching for a display as well.