PsychportAudio Internal Error: fails to open audio device

Hi everyone!

I’m currently using PTB (version 3.0.17.11) running on a ASUS vivobook Laptop (OS: Windows 10, 8gb RAM) to perform some experiments requiring low-latency presentation of both auditory and visual stimuli. I also installed ASIOforALL drivers to boost audio output latency.

Everything worked fine until (after a couple of forced quits from MATLAB due to other circumstances), PsychportAudio stopped working. The error displayed in the command window is the following:

PTB-INFO: Using modified PortAudio V19.6.0-devel, revision unknown
PTB-ERROR: Failed to open audio device -1. PortAudio reports this error: Invalid device
INTERNAL PSYCHTOOLBOX ERROR
error: PsychError_system
general description: Error reported by a system call
specific description: Failed to open PortAudio audio device.
module name: PsychPortAudio
subfunction call: Open
file name: C:\Users\Mario Kleiner\Documents\GitHub\Psychtoolbox3\PsychSourceGL\Source\Common\PsychPortAudio\PsychportAudio.c
function name: PSYCHPORTAUDIOOpen
line number: 2877

Error using PsychPortAudio
See error message printed above.
Error in Temporal_Order_Judgement_DEF (line 99)
pahandle = PsychPortAudio(‘Open’, , , 4,sample_rate,1);

To note, when I change the device id from to 3, it starts working again, but obviously with much less temporal precision. I tried to uninstall and then reinstall the ASIO drivers, but it didn’t work

Is there anyone who has any suggestion to fix the problem?

PTB 3.0.17 is end of life, no longer supported. And ASIO support has been removed longer ago.

For up to 30 minutes paid support, help PsychPaidSupportAndServices - our special 99 Euros + tax christmas offer is still active for probably another month.
-mario