Synchronization Failure Gnome 3.13.1 mirrored mode

Hi all,

I am running Psychtoolbox 3 on GNOME 3.14.1 (DEBIAN GNU /Linux 8 (jessie) 64 bit), which I start from an USB Stick since I only have an Windows PC available.

At first I have tried to use the default non-proprietary Linux driver which gave me Synchronization Failure messages and failed all PTB Sync Tests. I have then installed the proprietary driver for my graphics card NVIDIA Corporation - GF110 [GeForce GTX 570 Rev. 2] and I passed the sync tests in mirrored mode and yielded stable timing in mirrored mode. However, at the lab we have two different projectors available and the one I used at first seesm to loose frames as detected with a photodiode signal.

Therefore, I have set up another projector (Depth Q/ HD s 3D-1) and tried to apply the same procedure. However, PTB again gives me error messages ( see below) with the proprietary and the non proprietary driver.

Non proprietary driver:

PTB-INFO: Display ':0' : X-Screen 0 : Assigning primary output as 0 with RandR-CRTC 0 and GPU-CRTC 0.

PTB-INFO: This is Psychtoolbox-3 for GNU/Linux X11, under Matlab 64-Bit (Version 3.0.12 - Build date: May 13 2016).
PTB-INFO: Support status on this operating system release: Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64 Supported.
PTB-INFO: Type 'PsychtoolboxVersion' for more detailed version information.
PTB-INFO: Most parts of the Psychtoolbox distribution are licensed to you under terms of the MIT License, with
PTB-INFO: some restrictions. See file 'License.txt' in the Psychtoolbox root folder for the exact licensing conditions.

PTB-INFO: NVIDIA Corporation - GF110 [GeForce GTX 570 Rev. 2] GPU found. Trying to establish low-level access...
PTB-INFO: Connected to NVidia GF110 [GeForce GTX 570 Rev. 2] GPU of NV-0c0 family with 2 display heads. Beamposition timestamping enabled.
PTB-DEBUG:PsychOSGetSwapCompletionTimestamp: Invalid return values ust = 0, msc = 0 from call with success return code (sbc = 113)! Failing with rc = -2.
PTB-DEBUG:PsychOSGetSwapCompletionTimestamp: This likely means a driver bug or malfunction, or that timestamping support has been disabled by the user in the driver!
PTB-DEBUG:PsychOSGetSwapCompletionTimestamp: Invalid return values ust = 0, msc = 0 from call with success return code (sbc = 131)! Failing with rc = -2.
PTB-DEBUG:PsychOSGetSwapCompletionTimestamp: This likely means a driver bug or malfunction, or that timestamping support has been disabled by the user in the driver!
PTB-DEBUG:PsychOSGetSwapCompletionTimestamp: Invalid return values ust = 0, msc = 0 from call with success return code (sbc = 158)! Failing with rc = -2.
PTB-DEBUG:PsychOSGetSwapCompletionTimestamp: Invalid return values ust = 0, msc = 0 from call with success return code (sbc = 170)! Failing with rc = -2.

PTB-INFO: OpenGL-Renderer is nouveau :: Gallium 0.4 on NVC8 :: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.2
PTB-INFO: VBL startline = 768 , VBL Endline = 830
PTB-INFO: Measured monitor refresh interval from beamposition = 16.719001 ms [59.812187 Hz].
PTB-INFO: Will try to use OS-Builtin OpenML sync control support for accurate Flip timestamping.
PTB-INFO: Measured monitor refresh interval from VBLsync = 8.495092 ms [117.715023 Hz]. (1 valid samples taken, stddev=10000000.000000 ms.)
PTB-INFO: Reported monitor refresh interval from operating system = 8.334236 ms [119.987000 Hz].
PTB-INFO: Small deviations between reported values are normal and no reason to worry.

WARNING: Couldn't compute a reliable estimate of monitor refresh interval! Trouble with VBL syncing?!?

----- ! PTB - ERROR: SYNCHRONIZATION FAILURE ! ----

One or more internal checks (see Warnings above) indicate that synchronization
of Psychtoolbox to the vertical retrace (VBL) is not working on your setup.

This will seriously impair proper stimulus presentation and stimulus presentation timing!
Please read 'help SyncTrouble' for information about how to solve or work-around the problem.
You can force Psychtoolbox to continue, despite the severe problems, by adding the command
Screen('Preference', 'SkipSyncTests', 1); at the top of your script, if you really know what you are doing.

Proprietary driver:

PTB-INFO: Display ':0' : X-Screen 0 : Assigning primary output as 2 with RandR-CRTC 0 and GPU-CRTC 1.

PTB-INFO: This is Psychtoolbox-3 for GNU/Linux X11, under Matlab 64-Bit (Version 3.0.12 - Build date: May 13 2016).
PTB-INFO: Support status on this operating system release: Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64 Supported.
PTB-INFO: Most parts of the Psychtoolbox distribution are licensed to you under terms of the MIT License, with
PTB-INFO: some restrictions. See file 'License.txt' in the Psychtoolbox root folder for the exact licensing conditions.

PTB-INFO: NVIDIA Corporation - GF110 [GeForce GTX 570 Rev. 2] GPU found. Trying to establish low-level access...
PTB-INFO: Connected to NVidia GF110 [GeForce GTX 570 Rev. 2] GPU of NV-0c0 family with 2 display heads. Beamposition timestamping enabled.
PTB-WARNING: Couldn't even collect one single valid flip interval sample! Sanity range checks failed!
PTB-WARNING: Could be a system bug, or a temporary timing problem. Retrying the procedure might help if
PTB-WARNING: the latter is the culprit.

WARNING: VBL Calibration run No. 1 failed. Retrying...
PTB-WARNING: Couldn't even collect one single valid flip interval sample! Sanity range checks failed!
PTB-WARNING: Could be a system bug, or a temporary timing problem. Retrying the procedure might help if

WARNING: VBL Calibration run No. 2 failed. Retrying...
WARNING: Will enable VBL busywait-workaround before trying final VBL Calibration run No. 3.
WARNING: This will hopefully work-around graphics driver bugs of the GPU sync-to-retrace mechanism. Cross your fingers!

PTB-INFO: OpenGL-Renderer is NVIDIA Corporation :: GeForce GTX 570/PCIe/SSE2 :: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 375.26
PTB-INFO: VBL startline = 768 , VBL Endline = 812
PTB-INFO: Measured monitor refresh interval from beamposition = 8.333917 ms [119.991602 Hz].
PTB-INFO: Will use beamposition query for accurate Flip time stamping.
PTB-INFO: Measured monitor refresh interval from VBLsync = 0.000000 ms [inf Hz]. (0 valid samples taken, stddev=10000000.000000 ms.)
PTB-INFO: Reported monitor refresh interval from operating system = 8.334236 ms [119.987000 Hz].
PTB-INFO: Small deviations between reported values are normal and no reason to worry.

WARNING: Couldn't compute a reliable estimate of monitor refresh interval! Trouble with VBL syncing?!?

WARNING: Mismatch between measured monitor refresh interval and interval reported by operating system.
This indicates massive problems with VBL sync.

WARNING: Measured monitor refresh interval indicates a display refresh of less than 20 Hz or more than 250 Hz?!?

This will seriously impair proper stimulus presentation and stimulus presentation timing!
Please read 'help SyncTrouble' for information about how to solve or work-around the problem.
You can force Psychtoolbox to continue, despite the severe problems, by adding the command
Screen('Preference', 'SkipSyncTests', 1); at the top of your script, if you really know what you are doing.

Error using Screen
See error message printed above.

When I tried to unplug the beamer and start psychtoolbox everything worked fine and my script did not give me any errors. I read on the documentation pages that mirror mode could also cause those kind of problems since the program tries to synchronize to different vertical retraces. However, I need to see outside the scanning room what is projected since there are rare cases where I have to interfere. I have also tried all other suggestions on the help page, e.g I am running fukk screen, have testes several drivers, i am running the program on a stationary computer, I am not running inside a Virtual machine.

I would be really really glad for any kind of suggestions!

Best,

Charlotte

To put some semi-closure on this:

Charlotte confirmed to me via e-mail that at least the proposed method for the NVidia proprietary graphics driver seems to have worked. It didn't work for me on a quick test with a NVidia 1000 Pascal series gpu a couple of weeks ago, but the test was done under time pressure, so maybe i made a mistake.

Anyway, a tip worth trying if you need such mirrored setups under Linux + NVidia proprietary.

-mario

XXX---In PSYCHTOOLBOX@yahoogroups.com, <memento_experiment@...> wrote :

Hi all,

I am running Psychtoolbox 3 on GNOME 3.14.1 (DEBIAN GNU /Linux 8 (jessie) 64 bit), which I start from an USB Stick since I only have an Windows PC available.

At first I have tried to use the default non-proprietary Linux driver which gave me Synchronization Failure messages and failed all PTB Sync Tests. I have then installed the proprietary driver for my graphics card NVIDIA Corporation - GF110 [GeForce GTX 570 Rev. 2] and I passed the sync tests in mirrored mode and yielded stable timing in mirrored mode. However, at the lab we have two different projectors available and the one I used at first seesm to loose frames as detected with a photodiode signal.

Therefore, I have set up another projector (Depth Q/ HD s 3D-1) and tried to apply the same procedure. However, PTB again gives me error messages ( see below) with the proprietary and the non proprietary driver.

Non proprietary driver:

PTB-INFO: Display ':0' : X-Screen 0 : Assigning primary output as 0 with RandR-CRTC 0 and GPU-CRTC 0.

PTB-DEBUG:PsychOSGetSwapCompletionTimestamp: Invalid return values ust = 0, msc = 0 from call with success return code (sbc = 113)! Failing with rc = -2.
PTB-DEBUG:PsychOSGetSwapCompletionTimestamp: Invalid return values ust = 0, msc = 0 from call with success return code (sbc = 131)! Failing with rc = -2.
PTB-DEBUG:PsychOSGetSwapCompletionTimestamp: Invalid return values ust = 0, msc = 0 from call with success return code (sbc = 158)! Failing with rc = -2.
PTB-DEBUG:PsychOSGetSwapCompletionTimestamp: Invalid return values ust = 0, msc = 0 from call with success return code (sbc = 170)! Failing with rc = -2.

PTB-INFO: OpenGL-Renderer is nouveau :: Gallium 0.4 on NVC8 :: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.2
PTB-INFO: VBL startline = 768 , VBL Endline = 830
PTB-INFO: Measured monitor refresh interval from beamposition = 16.719001 ms [59.812187 Hz].
PTB-INFO: Will try to use OS-Builtin OpenML sync control support for accurate Flip timestamping.
PTB-INFO: Measured monitor refresh interval from VBLsync = 8.495092 ms [117.715023 Hz]. (1 valid samples taken, stddev=10000000.000000 ms.)

Proprietary driver:

PTB-INFO: Display ':0' : X-Screen 0 : Assigning primary output as 2 with RandR-CRTC 0 and GPU-CRTC 1.

WARNING: VBL Calibration run No. 1 failed. Retrying...

WARNING: VBL Calibration run No. 2 failed. Retrying...
WARNING: Will enable VBL busywait-workaround before trying final VBL Calibration run No. 3.
WARNING: This will hopefully work-around graphics driver bugs of the GPU sync-to-retrace mechanism. Cross your fingers!

PTB-INFO: OpenGL-Renderer is NVIDIA Corporation :: GeForce GTX 570/PCIe/SSE2 :: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 375.26
PTB-INFO: VBL startline = 768 , VBL Endline = 812
PTB-INFO: Measured monitor refresh interval from beamposition = 8.333917 ms [119.991602 Hz].
PTB-INFO: Will use beamposition query for accurate Flip time stamping.
PTB-INFO: Measured monitor refresh interval from VBLsync = 0.000000 ms [inf Hz]. (0 valid samples taken, stddev=10000000.000000 ms.)

WARNING: Mismatch between measured monitor refresh interval and interval reported by operating system.

WARNING: Measured monitor refresh interval indicates a display refresh of less than 20 Hz or more than 250 Hz?!?

Error using Screen
See error message printed above.

When I tried to unplug the beamer and start psychtoolbox everything worked fine and my script did not give me any errors. I read on the documentation pages that mirror mode could also cause those kind of problems since the program tries to synchronize to different vertical retraces. However, I need to see outside the scanning room what is projected since there are rare cases where I have to interfere. I have also tried all other suggestions on the help page, e.g I am running fukk screen, have testes several drivers, i am running the program on a stationary computer, I am not running inside a Virtual machine.

I would be really really glad for any kind of suggestions!

Best,

Charlotte