Text Rendered Incorrectly After Using App Compiler

Hi all,

After I used the Matlab App compiler for my Psychtoolbox experiment, the text got rendered weirdly:

I was wondering how I could fix this?

Did you install gstreamer on the computer you’re running the app on?

Hi, thank you for your response. I did not install gstreamer, would that make a difference?

I downloaded gstreamer, sadly it did not fix anything.

Did you follow exactly the installation instructions for gstreamer (e.g. exactly the right version)? Those would still apply. Gstreamer is needed for getting the right dlls for the high quality text renderer. My guess is that these were not found and it falls back to the lower quality renderer

Thank you for your response. I installed the correct version. Would I need to transfer files after installation?

What do you mean transfer? You installed on the computer the app will run on, right? If it doesn’t work, then i am out of ideas, hope someone else has an idea. Do note that running as a standalone app is not really supported, even if it might work

You need GStreamer on the target machine. You will also need the right text renderer plugin from Psychtoolbox/PsychBasic/PsychPlugins/ manually included into your app, e.g., the .dll version for Windows, .dylib for macOS, .so for Linux.

Then there’s the issue that libfontconfig.dll - part of GStreamer - needs to build a font cache on first run, and it may need some configuration file for that, which would not be included in your app compiler app. But i think that was so far only an issue on macOS, where our normal setup process takes care of this when running DownloadPsychtoolbox, UpdatePsychtoolbox, or SetupPsychtoolbox.

Of course there isn’t a guarantee any of this will work, as the app compiler is not supported or tested by us. And any further advice from my side will require paid-for priority support.

-mario