AMD graphics card

Hi Mario and all,

I've just installed anew PC for rig, with Ubuntu 16.04LTS (Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS Release:    16.04 Codename:    xenial) and installed MATLAB (Version: 9.1.0.441655 (R2016b)) and PsychToolbox (3.0.14 - Flavor: beta - Corresponds to SVN Revision 5452 but is *locally modified* !). The PC has an AMD grahics card (MSI RadeonRX470). Eventually I aim to run the rig with a Bits# controlling spike recording

I am unable to configure the dual monitor facility (DVI + HDMI) and any help would be appreciated.  The current drive is:

description: VGA compatible controller
       product: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
       vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
       version: cf
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=amdgpu latency=0
       resources: irq:132 memory:c0000000-cfffffff memory:d0000000-d01fffff ioport:e000(size=256) memory:dfe00000-dfe3ffff memory:dfe40000-dfe5ffff

I have tried the XOrgConfCreator, but although it writes the file, nothing changes - I assume this is becuase these drivers are no used in 16.04?  Any help would be much appreciated, I'm cpmpletely stumped

Thanks,

ken
1. Already ran "sudo apt install matlab-support" ? As you installed PTB from us, you need to run it, and answer the various questions with "yes". It will fix some of Matlab's unique brokeness.

2. "uname -r" should report a Linux 4.8 kernel. If it doesn't do that already, "sudo apt install linux-lowlatency-hwe-16.04" and reboot. I don't think the 4.4 kernel already supported your R480 card.

3. What's the output of PTB in Matlab's window?

4. XOrgConfCreator if it works will only create the config file, but not apply it. For that you have XOrgConfSelector, which allows to switch between the standard display setup (Option 0) or any given number of config files created by XOrgConfCreator, so one can switch between different configurations, e.g., for different experiments. You need to logout/login again after using XOrgConfSelector.

-mario