Can psychtoolbox play videos that have multiple (>2) sound channels?

Hi all,

I know that I can use PsychPortAudio to play multichannel sound; I also know that I can use Screen('PlayMovie') and related functions to present videos in psychtoolbox. My question is, can I present videos that come with multiple (>2) sound channels?  I know I can probably mute the video and just play the video and sound separately using PsychPortAudio and Screen('PlayMovie'), respectively, but I don't want to do so for sync issues. 

The specific situation is that, I am delivering vibrotactile stimulations to the subject while they are watching a video. The vibrotactile stimulations are essentially sine wave sound files, and there are five channels in the sound file because we are delivering vibrotactile stimulations to five fingers. I would appreciate if anyone has suggestions!

Thank you,

Yuqi

XXXIn PSYCHTOOLBOX@yahoogroups.com, <liu_yuqi@...> wrote :

Hi all,

I know that I can use PsychPortAudio to play multichannel sound; I also know that I can use Screen('PlayMovie') and related functions to present videos in psychtoolbox. My question is, can I present videos that come with multiple (>2) sound channels?  I know I can probably mute the video and just play the video and sound separately using PsychPortAudio and Screen('PlayMovie'), respectively, but I don't want to do so for sync issues. 

The specific situation is that, I am delivering vibrotactile stimulations to the subject while they are watching a video. The vibrotactile stimulations are essentially sine wave sound files, and there are five channels in the sound file because we are delivering vibrotactile stimulations to five fingers. I would appreciate if anyone has suggestions!

-> Hi Yuqi, why don't you simply try? PTB itself uses GStreamer for movie playback and doesn't impose any restrictions on the number of audio channels. So you can do whatever your installed version of GStreamer and its plugins and codecs can do on your OS + hardware combo with the specific type of movie file you use. Just try and see what happens, and then report back what you found. If it doesn't work you need to provide as much details about your operating system, audio-hardware, audio hardware setup, GStreamer version, the Matlab script you used to test etc. Just running SimpleMovieDemo(filename) passing in a suitable audio test file would be the most simple test.

-mario