How to identify hidden video capture devices?

Hello

I’m interested in using PTB to perform video capture from a FLIR Chameleon 3 camera. It is connected via USB 3 and I am running Windows 10. I am using the following version of PTB: '3.0.17 - Flavor: beta - Corresponds to SVN Revision 12135. My version of Matlab is: ‘9.10.0.1649659 (R2021a) Update 1’.

When I execute Screen(‘VideoCaptureDevices’), the camera is not found. The website (http://psychtoolbox.org/docs/Screen-OpenVideoCapture) explains that this can happen with some devices and it provides information about how to pass information to PTB about hidden devices so video capture can proceed. However, I can’t find any information about how to identify the camera. How do I determine the camera’s name or ID? I’d appreciate any suggestions on how to do this or if you could point me to the resource that describes this process. I looked around on the website, the forum, and the github issues, but I couldn’t find anything. If I missed it, I’m sorry. Thank you so much for your time and have a good day!

~Nick

You asked the same question in a GitHub issue a month ago, i explained priority support to you as an option of getting help, you fell silent, so i will close that issue now.

-mario

Hi Mario,

Thanks for that update! I was sidetracked by other issues, so that is why I had not pursued this question further. When I came back to it yesterday and it still had not been answered, I decided to follow your suggestion and move the question here.

Since information appears in the software guide on how to deal with hidden cameras, I thought people would have some tips on how to identify the hidden cameras. Perhaps this is a complex problem that is much more system specific than I had anticipated, which is why you are suggesting using paid support.

I’d appreciate any advice anyone has with this problem. Thanks!

~Nick

Try reading the documentation for GStreamer and for Windows. For linux, video devices are found by listing /dev/ — a really nice feature of Linux where everything is exposed as a “file”, even hardware devices. My vague recollection is clicking around in device manager USB section in Windows?

Also doesn’t Teledyne have some software you can use to configure your camera etc.?

Has this problem been resolved? If so, i guess others might appreciate some feedback that might help them in similar situations.

-mario

Unfortunately, no. I’ve worked on it a bit this morning, but I still can’t get it to work. I’ve found numerous names and IDs in the device manager properties for the camera. I’ve tried ~15, but with no success. I’ve looked around online to see if there is anything about device IDs, but most of that information is in relation to identifying drivers. Perhaps if I had more information about where the device ID and name come from in PTB, that might help.

Whenever I try to open the device with an ID or name I found in the device manager properties, I get the following error from PTB:

PTB-ERROR: Statechange failed with GST_STATE_CHANGE_FAILURE!
Error in function OpenVideoCapture: Usage error
In OpenVideoCapture: Opening the video capture device failed during camerabin pipeline zero → ready. Reason given above.

I’d appreciate any other information or suggestions people might have. Thanks!

~Nick