Interfacing with BlackMagic devices

Hello!

I’m interested in interfacing PTB directly with a BlackMagic capture/playback device (specifically the UltraStudio 4K Mini but I don’t think this matters so much). Blackmagic has an SDK (SDK-DeckLink).

I’m really just wondering if anyone out there has tried this before, and maybe has already written some MEX files or such that would allow me to send commands and data to the device. I imagine not but hey it never hurts to ask! I’ve done something similar years ago (wrote some MEX files to interface with the TOBII SDK) so I have a general idea of how to proceed, but of course, it is always better to save some time if something already exists out there.

Thanks,
Ed

my setup (though not really relevant for this Q):
Matlab 2019a
macOS 10.14.6 (upgrading to 10.15 soon)

No personal experience with those at all. But Gstreamer has source/sink plugins for capturing from or playing out to Decklink devices, so in principle these should be usable by a custom PTB videocapture or “movie playback” pipeline. At least under Linux these are available, didn’t check for windows or macos. I guess it would depend on what you wanna do. More details about what you want to do would be interesting.

Wrt. Mojave->Catalina. If PTB 3.0.17 works fine for you under Mojave, i’d stick to that, even though 3.0.17 no longer officially supports Mojave and isn’t tested with it anymore. Catalina is a downgrade in any respect, its functionality is either identical or worse wrt. neuroscience use.

-mario