SimpleMovieDemo crashes?

Hello -

I’m having issues even running SimpleMovieDemo - it loads a white screen then a black screen and then Matlab crashes (so I don’t even see the actual error). It’s on Windows.

I have Gstreamer installed and did the Custom Installation (checking each box individually) as suggested. I’ve checked that multiple times, so I’m pretty sure it’s not a Gstreamer installation issue. Any idea what else I can look at?

Hi. Did you install the MSVC variant of GStreamer 1.16 as mandated, or accidentally the other variant? The other variant would crash.

Hi, thanks for the help! I removed/reinstalled gstreamer with the MSVC variant just to be sure and it stopped crashing, but still doesn’t play the SimpleMovieDemo and now gives error code 126, which I can’t seem to find anywhere.

And this is the latest PTB 3.0.16 beta release? GStreamer 1.16 MSVC with all codecs installed (Either custom install button and check all boxes, or maybe there is a “full installation” button, that does the same)? Windows-10?

What’s the full Matlab output? What does PlayMoviesDemo do if you ask for the ©ool demo movies?

It’s PTB 3.0.15 on Matlab2018a on Windows 7. It’s Gstreamer 1.16 MSVC with all codec installed through custom install.

Here’s the output:

PTB-INFO: This is Psychtoolbox-3 for Microsoft Windows, under Matlab 64-Bit (Version 3.0.15 - Build date: Feb 7 2019).
PTB-INFO: Support status on this operating system release: Windows 7 (Version 6.1) partially supported, but no longer tested at all.
PTB-INFO: Type ‘PsychtoolboxVersion’ for more detailed version information.
PTB-INFO: Most parts of the Psychtoolbox distribution are licensed to you under terms of the MIT License, with
PTB-INFO: some restrictions. See file ‘License.txt’ in the Psychtoolbox root folder for the exact licensing conditions.

PTB-INFO: Will disable DWM because a regular fullscreen onscreen window is opened -> We want best timing and performance.
PTB-INFO: The detected endline of the vertical blank interval is equal or lower than the startline. This indicates
PTB-INFO: that i couldn’t detect the duration of the vertical blank interval and won’t be able to correct timestamps
PTB-INFO: for it. This will introduce a very small and constant offset (typically << 1 msec). Read ‘help BeampositionQueries’
PTB-INFO: for how to correct this, should you really require that last few microseconds of precision.
PTB-INFO: Btw. this can also mean that your systems beamposition queries are slightly broken. It may help timing precision to
PTB-INFO: enable the beamposition workaround, as explained in ‘help ConserveVRAMSettings’, section ‘kPsychUseBeampositionQueryWorkaround’.

PTB-INFO: OpenGL-Renderer is NVIDIA Corporation :: Quadro 600/PCIe/SSE2 :: 4.4.0
PTB-INFO: VBL startline = 1080 , VBL Endline = 1079
PTB-INFO: Measured monitor refresh interval from beamposition = 16.665701 ms [60.003475 Hz].
PTB-INFO: Will use beamposition query for accurate Flip time stamping.
PTB-INFO: Measured monitor refresh interval from VBLsync = 16.665475 ms [60.004292 Hz]. (50 valid samples taken, stddev=0.033963 ms.)
PTB-INFO: Reported monitor refresh interval from operating system = 16.666667 ms [60.000000 Hz].
PTB-INFO: Small deviations between reported values are normal and no reason to worry.

PTB-ERROR: Tried to startup GStreamer multi-media framework. This didn’t work, because one
PTB-ERROR: of the required GStreamer runtime libraries failed to load, probably because it
PTB-ERROR: could not be found, could not be accessed (e.g., due to permission problems),
PTB-ERROR: or most likely because GStreamer isn’t installed on this machine at all.
PTB-ERROR: Another reason could be that you have GStreamer version 0.10.x instead of the required
PTB-ERROR: version >= 1.4.0 installed. The version 0.10 series is no longer supported.

PTB-ERROR: The system returned the error code 126.
PTB-ERROR: Please read the help by typing ‘help GStreamer’ for installation and troubleshooting
PTB-ERROR: instructions.

PTB-ERROR: Due to failed GStreamer initialization, the movie playback engine is disabled for this session.

Error in function OpenMovie: Usage error
GStreamer initialization failed due to library loading problems. Aborted.
Error using Screen
Usage:

[ moviePtr [duration] [fps] [width] [height] [count] [aspectRatio]]=Screen(‘OpenMovie’, windowPtr, moviefile [, async=0] [,
preloadSecs=1] [, specialFlags1=0][, pixelFormat=4][, maxNumberThreads=-1][, movieOptions]);

Error in SimpleMovieDemo (line 49)
movie = Screen(‘OpenMovie’, win, moviename);

3.0.15 is old, please update to the latest PTB and see if that solves your issues.

1 Like

I updated both Matlab (2019a) and PTB (3.0.16) and still have the same issues.

Windows-10 + R2019a + PTB 3.0.16 + GStreamer 1.16.0 MSVC edition with all codecs installed is a fully tested configuration and known to work perfectly from my own tests. Please make sure you have the very latest PTB from 4 or 5 days ago. If the problem persists, post the full Matlab output from Matlab startup to failure. The diary command can help to log stuff.

I just reinstalled PTB today, so I’m assuming it’s the most recent version. However, I’m on Windows 7 and can’t upgrade. Is that an issue?

This is the Matlab output:

PTB-INFO: This is Psychtoolbox-3 for Microsoft Windows, under Matlab 64-Bit (Version 3.0.16 - Build date: Jan 30 2020).
PTB-INFO: OS support status: Windows 7 (Version 6.1) partially supported, but no longer tested at all.
PTB-INFO: Type ‘PsychtoolboxVersion’ for more detailed version information.
PTB-INFO: Most parts of the Psychtoolbox distribution are licensed to you under terms of the MIT License, with
PTB-INFO: some restrictions. See file ‘License.txt’ in the Psychtoolbox root folder for the exact licensing conditions.

PTB-INFO: Will disable DWM because a regular fullscreen onscreen window is opened -> We want best timing and performance.
PTB-INFO: The detected endline of the vertical blank interval is equal or lower than the startline. This indicates
PTB-INFO: that i couldn’t detect the duration of the vertical blank interval and won’t be able to correct timestamps
PTB-INFO: for it. This will introduce a very small and constant offset (typically << 1 msec). Read ‘help BeampositionQueries’
PTB-INFO: for how to correct this, should you really require that last few microseconds of precision.
PTB-INFO: Btw. this can also mean that your systems beamposition queries are slightly broken. It may help timing precision to
PTB-INFO: enable the beamposition workaround, as explained in ‘help ConserveVRAMSettings’, section ‘kPsychUseBeampositionQueryWorkaround’.

PTB-INFO: OpenGL-Renderer is NVIDIA Corporation :: Quadro 600/PCIe/SSE2 :: 4.4.0
PTB-INFO: VBL startline = 1080 , VBL Endline = 1079
PTB-INFO: Measured monitor refresh interval from beamposition = 16.665123 ms [60.005556 Hz].
PTB-INFO: Will use beamposition query for accurate Flip time stamping.
PTB-INFO: Measured monitor refresh interval from VBLsync = 16.660916 ms [60.020710 Hz]. (50 valid samples taken, stddev=0.049860 ms.)
PTB-INFO: Reported monitor refresh interval from operating system = 16.666667 ms [60.000000 Hz].
PTB-INFO: Small deviations between reported values are normal and no reason to worry.

INFO: PTB’s Screen(‘Flip’, 10) command seems to have missed the requested stimulus presentation deadline
INFO: a total of 13 times out of a total of 53 flips during this session.

INFO: This number is fairly accurate (and indicative of real timing problems in your own code or your system)
INFO: if you provided requested stimulus onset times with the ‘when’ argument of Screen(‘Flip’, window [, when]);
INFO: If you called Screen(‘Flip’, window); without the ‘when’ argument, this count is more of a ‘‘mild’’ indicator
INFO: of timing behaviour than a hard reliable measurement. Large numbers may indicate problems and should at least
INFO: deserve your closer attention. Cfe. ‘help SyncTrouble’, the FAQ section at www.psychtoolbox.org and the
INFO: examples in the PDF presentation in PsychDocumentation/Psychtoolbox3-Slides.pdf for more info and timing tips.

That’s the latest version. But your last output doesn’t show signs of any trouble anymore?