Gstreamer crashing on Mac running bootcamp windows

Hi All,

I am currently try to get Psych Toolbox up and working with GStreamer on a 2015 21.5 iMac running Windows 10 [Version 10.0.17134.523], I am trying to run the latest version of Psych toolbox (3.0.15 - Flavor: beta - Corresponds to SVN Revision 9470) with GStreamer installed (gstreamer-1.0-xb6_64-1.14.4, I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling GStreamer several times and have tried both the complete configuration of Gstreamer on installation as well as clicking each package manually).

When I open up matlab without java (using matlab.exe -nojvm) and try to run SimpleMovieDemo I get the following error (I will also try to attach a picture to maintain formatting)

PTB-ERROR: Statechange failed with GST_STATE_CHANGE_FAILURE! PTB-ERROR: GStreamer movie playback engine reports this error: Error from element qtdemux0: Internal data stream error. Additional debug info: qtdemux.c(6073): gst_qtdemux_loop (): /GstPlayBin:ptbmovieplaybackpipeline/GstURIDecodeBin:uridecodebin0/GstDecodeBin:decodebin0/GstQTDemux:qtdemux0: streaming stopped, reason not-negotiated (-4). Error in function OpenMovie: Usage error In OpenMovie: Opening the movie failed I. Reason given above. Error using Screen Usage: [ moviePtr [duration] [fps] [width] [height] [count] [aspectRatio]]=Screen('OpenMovie', windowPtr, moviefile [, async=0] [, preloadSecs=1] [, specialFlags1=0][, pixelFormat=4][, maxNumberThreads=-1][, movieOptions]); Error in SimpleMovieDemo (line 49) movie = Screen('OpenMovie', win, moviename);

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Kieran

Just a hunch: Does your machine have speakers or headphones connected, ie. can it play sound?
IIRC PTB 3.0.15 on Windows-10 was successfully tested with GStreamer 1.14.4 + Octave 4.4.1 at least.
I do remember that GStreamer doesn't like it if your machine doesn't have sound output, but sound output is enabled for movie playback. Can't remember though what kind of error happens if the machine lacks properly working sound output.

-mario

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 11:51 PM kieran.mcveighc@... [PSYCHTOOLBOX] <PSYCHTOOLBOX@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
[Attachment(s) from kieran.mcveighc@... included below]

Hi All,

I am currently try to get Psych Toolbox up and working with GStreamer on a 2015 21.5 iMac running Windows 10 [Version 10.0.17134.523], I am trying to run the latest version of Psych toolbox (3.0.15 - Flavor: beta - Corresponds to SVN Revision 9470) with GStreamer installed (gstreamer-1.0-xb6_64-1.14.4, I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling GStreamer several times and have tried both the complete configuration of Gstreamer on installation as well as clicking each package manually).

When I open up matlab without java (using matlab.exe -nojvm) and try to run SimpleMovieDemo I get the following error (I will also try to attach a picture to maintain formatting)

PTB-ERROR: Statechange failed with GST_STATE_CHANGE_FAILURE! PTB-ERROR: GStreamer movie playback engine reports this error: Error from element qtdemux0: Internal data stream error. Additional debug info: qtdemux.c(6073): gst_qtdemux_loop (): /GstPlayBin:ptbmovieplaybackpipeline/GstURIDecodeBin:uridecodebin0/GstDecodeBin:decodebin0/GstQTDemux:qtdemux0: streaming stopped, reason not-negotiated (-4). Error in function OpenMovie: Usage error In OpenMovie: Opening the movie failed I. Reason given above. Error using Screen Usage: [ moviePtr [duration] [fps] [width] [height] [count] [aspectRatio]]=Screen('OpenMovie', windowPtr, moviefile [, async=0] [, preloadSecs=1] [, specialFlags1=0][, pixelFormat=4][, maxNumberThreads=-1][, movieOptions]); Error in SimpleMovieDemo (line 49) movie = Screen('OpenMovie', win, moviename);

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Kieran

Good. It's a bit unfortunate that the error message of GStreamer doesn't give a useful hint to what the problem is.

This restriction only exists on Windows btw. If you don't need sound output for your movies you can specify the optional 'specialFlags1' parameter to Screen('OpenMovie',...) as 2 to disable any sound output for the movie. This way you don't need to plug in headphones despite not needing any sound.

It would also be good if you could add a new FAQ entry to our psychtoolbox.org FAQ section of the Wiki, explaining this.
-mario

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 4:24 PM kieran.mcveighc@... [PSYCHTOOLBOX] <PSYCHTOOLBOX@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Plugging headphones in indeed fix the issue - Thanks Mario - very much appreciated!