gstreamer error

Sorry to be a bother, but I cannot find a solution to my problem online yet so I thought I would post.

I cannot play videos (including SimpleMovieDemo) with psychtoolbox because I get this gstreamer error pasted below. I have a macbook pro, am running mountain lion, and matlab 7.9.0 r2009b. I just updated psychtoolbox, downloaded xcode (and installed the command line tools), and downloaded all of gstreamer today so everything should be up to date.

>> SimpleMovieDemo

PTB-INFO: This is Psychtoolbox-3 for Apple OS X, under Matlab 64-Bit (Version 3.0.11 - Build date: Jul 23 2013).
PTB-INFO: Type 'PsychtoolboxVersion' for more detailed version information.
PTB-INFO: Most parts of the Psychtoolbox distribution are licensed to you under terms of the MIT License, with
PTB-INFO: some restrictions. See file 'License.txt' in the Psychtoolbox root folder for the exact licensing conditions.

PTB-INFO: Deficient Apple OS/X 10.7 or later detected: Would use fragile CoreVideo timestamping as fallback,
PTB-INFO: if beamposition timestamping would not work. Will try to use beamposition timestamping if possible.
PTB-INFO: Installation of the PsychtoolboxKernelDriver is strongly recommended if you care about precise visual onset timestamping
PTB-INFO: or timing. See 'help PsychtoolboxKernelDriver' for instructions.

PTB-INFO: You are using a multi-display setup (2 active displays):
PTB-INFO: Please read 'help MultiDisplaySetups' for specific information on the Do's, Dont's,
PTB-INFO: and possible causes of trouble and how to diagnose and resolve them.

PTB-INFO: According to the operating system, some of your connected displays do not seem to
PTB-INFO: be switched into mirror mode. For a discussion of mirror mode vs. non-mirror mode,
PTB-INFO: please read 'help MirrorMode'.

PTB-INFO: OpenGL-Renderer is Intel Inc. :: Intel HD Graphics 4000 OpenGL Engine :: 2.1 INTEL-8.10.44
PTB-INFO: Renderer has 1156 MB of VRAM and a maximum 512 MB of texture memory.
PTB-INFO: VBL startline = 1080 , VBL Endline = -1
PTB-INFO: Beamposition queries unsupported on this system. Will try to use kernel-level vbl interrupts as fallback.
PTB-INFO: Measured monitor refresh interval from VBLsync = 16.663511 ms [60.011363 Hz]. (50 valid samples taken, stddev=0.053009 ms.)
PTB-INFO: Reported monitor refresh interval from operating system = 16.666662 ms [60.000015 Hz].
PTB-INFO: Small deviations between reported values are normal and no reason to worry.
PTB-INFO: Support for fast OffscreenWindows enabled.

PTB-ERROR: Tried to startup GStreamer multi-media framework. This didn't work, because one
PTB-ERROR: of the required GStreamer runtime libraries failed to load, probably because it
PTB-ERROR: could not be found, could not be accessed (e.g., due to permission problems),
PTB-ERROR: or most likely because GStreamer isn't installed on this machine at all.
PTB-ERROR: Another reason could be that you have GStreamer version 1.0 instead of the required
PTB-ERROR: version 0.10 installed. The version 1 series is not yet supported.

PTB-ERROR: Please read the help by typing 'help GStreamer' for installation and troubleshooting
PTB-ERROR: instructions.

PTB-ERROR: Due to failed GStreamer initialization, the movie playback engine is disabled for this session.

Error in function OpenMovie: Usage error
GStreamer initialization failed due to library loading problems. Aborted.
??? Error using ==> Screen
Usage:

[ moviePtr [duration] [fps] [width] [height] [count] [aspectRatio]]=Screen('OpenMovie',
windowPtr, moviefile [, async=0] [, preloadSecs=1] [, specialFlags1=0][, pixelFormat=4][,
maxNumberThreads=-1]);

Error in ==> SimpleMovieDemo at 43
movie = Screen('OpenMovie', win, moviename);
--- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "ok_parker1" <castle.liz@...> wrote:
>
> I downloaded the gstreamer libraries from here: http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/pkg/osx/1.0.9/ (1.0.9 which I guess isn't fully supported in psych toolbox? But the 0.10 series doesn't see to be available anymore because gstreamer no longer supports it). I fully installed the .dmg and .pks through that link so everything should be there.
>

Have you considered at some point reading the installation instructions, as pointed out by ptb to you? Citing from what you posted:

> PTB-ERROR: Another reason could be that you have GStreamer version 1.0 instead of the required
> PTB-ERROR: version 0.10 installed. The version 1 series is not yet supported.
> PTB-ERROR: Please read the help by typing 'help GStreamer' for installation and troubleshooting
> PTB-ERROR: instructions.

At some point we'll switch to the version 1 series, but given that v1.x is less than a year old, whereas the 0.10 series had a decade to mature, my feeling is to take things slowly, given the complexity of the software.

> Also, you need XCode because Subversion is included it, and mountain lion no longer has Subversion built in.
>

That's depressing. Apple calls this loss of default functionality in 10.8 progress? I hope there are some places one can download Subversion for OSX with some lower overhead than a full XCode download?

-mario

>
> --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "Mario" <mario.kleiner@> wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> > It can't find or load the GStreamer libraries.
> >
> > Where did you install GStreamer from? Did you follow the installation instructions closely? Did you install the runtime libraries from the 2013.6 SDK?
> >
> > I'm not sure why you'd need XCode for this?
> > -mario
> >
> > --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "ok_parker1" <castle.liz@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Sorry to be a bother, but I cannot find a solution to my problem online yet so I thought I would post.
> > >
> > > I cannot play videos (including SimpleMovieDemo) with psychtoolbox because I get this gstreamer error pasted below. I have a macbook pro, am running mountain lion, and matlab 7.9.0 r2009b. I just updated psychtoolbox, downloaded xcode (and installed the command line tools), and downloaded all of gstreamer today so everything should be up to date.
> > >
> > > >> SimpleMovieDemo
> > >
> > >
> > > PTB-INFO: This is Psychtoolbox-3 for Apple OS X, under Matlab 64-Bit (Version 3.0.11 - Build date: Jul 23 2013).
> > > PTB-INFO: Type 'PsychtoolboxVersion' for more detailed version information.
> > > PTB-INFO: Most parts of the Psychtoolbox distribution are licensed to you under terms of the MIT License, with
> > > PTB-INFO: some restrictions. See file 'License.txt' in the Psychtoolbox root folder for the exact licensing conditions.
> > >
> > > PTB-INFO: Deficient Apple OS/X 10.7 or later detected: Would use fragile CoreVideo timestamping as fallback,
> > > PTB-INFO: if beamposition timestamping would not work. Will try to use beamposition timestamping if possible.
> > > PTB-INFO: Installation of the PsychtoolboxKernelDriver is strongly recommended if you care about precise visual onset timestamping
> > > PTB-INFO: or timing. See 'help PsychtoolboxKernelDriver' for instructions.
> > >
> > >
> > > PTB-INFO: You are using a multi-display setup (2 active displays):
> > > PTB-INFO: Please read 'help MultiDisplaySetups' for specific information on the Do's, Dont's,
> > > PTB-INFO: and possible causes of trouble and how to diagnose and resolve them.
> > >
> > > PTB-INFO: According to the operating system, some of your connected displays do not seem to
> > > PTB-INFO: be switched into mirror mode. For a discussion of mirror mode vs. non-mirror mode,
> > > PTB-INFO: please read 'help MirrorMode'.
> > >
> > >
> > > PTB-INFO: OpenGL-Renderer is Intel Inc. :: Intel HD Graphics 4000 OpenGL Engine :: 2.1 INTEL-8.10.44
> > > PTB-INFO: Renderer has 1156 MB of VRAM and a maximum 512 MB of texture memory.
> > > PTB-INFO: VBL startline = 1080 , VBL Endline = -1
> > > PTB-INFO: Beamposition queries unsupported on this system. Will try to use kernel-level vbl interrupts as fallback.
> > > PTB-INFO: Measured monitor refresh interval from VBLsync = 16.663511 ms [60.011363 Hz]. (50 valid samples taken, stddev=0.053009 ms.)
> > > PTB-INFO: Reported monitor refresh interval from operating system = 16.666662 ms [60.000015 Hz].
> > > PTB-INFO: Small deviations between reported values are normal and no reason to worry.
> > > PTB-INFO: Support for fast OffscreenWindows enabled.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > PTB-ERROR: Tried to startup GStreamer multi-media framework. This didn't work, because one
> > > PTB-ERROR: of the required GStreamer runtime libraries failed to load, probably because it
> > > PTB-ERROR: could not be found, could not be accessed (e.g., due to permission problems),
> > > PTB-ERROR: or most likely because GStreamer isn't installed on this machine at all.
> > > PTB-ERROR: Another reason could be that you have GStreamer version 1.0 instead of the required
> > > PTB-ERROR: version 0.10 installed. The version 1 series is not yet supported.
> > >
> > > PTB-ERROR: Please read the help by typing 'help GStreamer' for installation and troubleshooting
> > > PTB-ERROR: instructions.
> > >
> > > PTB-ERROR: Due to failed GStreamer initialization, the movie playback engine is disabled for this session.
> > >
> > > Error in function OpenMovie: Usage error
> > > GStreamer initialization failed due to library loading problems. Aborted.
> > > ??? Error using ==> Screen
> > > Usage:
> > >
> > > [ moviePtr [duration] [fps] [width] [height] [count] [aspectRatio]]=Screen('OpenMovie',
> > > windowPtr, moviefile [, async=0] [, preloadSecs=1] [, specialFlags1=0][, pixelFormat=4][,
> > > maxNumberThreads=-1]);
> > >
> > > Error in ==> SimpleMovieDemo at 43
> > > movie = Screen('OpenMovie', win, moviename);
> > >
> >
>
>> Also, you need XCode because Subversion is included it, and mountain lion no longer has Subversion built in.
>>
> That's depressing. Apple calls this loss of default functionality in 10.8 progress? I hope there are some places one can download Subversion for OSX with some lower overhead than a full XCode download?
You can just download Command Line Tools for Mountain Lion from Developer Downloads (~120 MB).

Best,
Andreas

>
> -mario
>
>>
>> --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "Mario" <mario.kleiner@> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> It can't find or load the GStreamer libraries.
>>>
>>> Where did you install GStreamer from? Did you follow the installation instructions closely? Did you install the runtime libraries from the 2013.6 SDK?
>>>
>>> I'm not sure why you'd need XCode for this?
>>> -mario
>>>
>>> --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "ok_parker1" <castle.liz@> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Sorry to be a bother, but I cannot find a solution to my problem online yet so I thought I would post.
>>>>
>>>> I cannot play videos (including SimpleMovieDemo) with psychtoolbox because I get this gstreamer error pasted below. I have a macbook pro, am running mountain lion, and matlab 7.9.0 r2009b. I just updated psychtoolbox, downloaded xcode (and installed the command line tools), and downloaded all of gstreamer today so everything should be up to date.
>>>>
>>>>>> SimpleMovieDemo
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> PTB-INFO: This is Psychtoolbox-3 for Apple OS X, under Matlab 64-Bit (Version 3.0.11 - Build date: Jul 23 2013).
>>>> PTB-INFO: Type 'PsychtoolboxVersion' for more detailed version information.
>>>> PTB-INFO: Most parts of the Psychtoolbox distribution are licensed to you under terms of the MIT License, with
>>>> PTB-INFO: some restrictions. See file 'License.txt' in the Psychtoolbox root folder for the exact licensing conditions.
>>>>
>>>> PTB-INFO: Deficient Apple OS/X 10.7 or later detected: Would use fragile CoreVideo timestamping as fallback,
>>>> PTB-INFO: if beamposition timestamping would not work. Will try to use beamposition timestamping if possible.
>>>> PTB-INFO: Installation of the PsychtoolboxKernelDriver is strongly recommended if you care about precise visual onset timestamping
>>>> PTB-INFO: or timing. See 'help PsychtoolboxKernelDriver' for instructions.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> PTB-INFO: You are using a multi-display setup (2 active displays):
>>>> PTB-INFO: Please read 'help MultiDisplaySetups' for specific information on the Do's, Dont's,
>>>> PTB-INFO: and possible causes of trouble and how to diagnose and resolve them.
>>>>
>>>> PTB-INFO: According to the operating system, some of your connected displays do not seem to
>>>> PTB-INFO: be switched into mirror mode. For a discussion of mirror mode vs. non-mirror mode,
>>>> PTB-INFO: please read 'help MirrorMode'.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> PTB-INFO: OpenGL-Renderer is Intel Inc. :: Intel HD Graphics 4000 OpenGL Engine :: 2.1 INTEL-8.10.44
>>>> PTB-INFO: Renderer has 1156 MB of VRAM and a maximum 512 MB of texture memory.
>>>> PTB-INFO: VBL startline = 1080 , VBL Endline = -1
>>>> PTB-INFO: Beamposition queries unsupported on this system. Will try to use kernel-level vbl interrupts as fallback.
>>>> PTB-INFO: Measured monitor refresh interval from VBLsync = 16.663511 ms [60.011363 Hz]. (50 valid samples taken, stddev=0.053009 ms.)
>>>> PTB-INFO: Reported monitor refresh interval from operating system = 16.666662 ms [60.000015 Hz].
>>>> PTB-INFO: Small deviations between reported values are normal and no reason to worry.
>>>> PTB-INFO: Support for fast OffscreenWindows enabled.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> PTB-ERROR: Tried to startup GStreamer multi-media framework. This didn't work, because one
>>>> PTB-ERROR: of the required GStreamer runtime libraries failed to load, probably because it
>>>> PTB-ERROR: could not be found, could not be accessed (e.g., due to permission problems),
>>>> PTB-ERROR: or most likely because GStreamer isn't installed on this machine at all.
>>>> PTB-ERROR: Another reason could be that you have GStreamer version 1.0 instead of the required
>>>> PTB-ERROR: version 0.10 installed. The version 1 series is not yet supported.
>>>>
>>>> PTB-ERROR: Please read the help by typing 'help GStreamer' for installation and troubleshooting
>>>> PTB-ERROR: instructions.
>>>>
>>>> PTB-ERROR: Due to failed GStreamer initialization, the movie playback engine is disabled for this session.
>>>>
>>>> Error in function OpenMovie: Usage error
>>>> GStreamer initialization failed due to library loading problems. Aborted.
>>>> ??? Error using ==> Screen
>>>> Usage:
>>>>
>>>> [ moviePtr [duration] [fps] [width] [height] [count] [aspectRatio]]=Screen('OpenMovie',
>>>> windowPtr, moviefile [, async=0] [, preloadSecs=1] [, specialFlags1=0][, pixelFormat=4][,
>>>> maxNumberThreads=-1]);
>>>>
>>>> Error in ==> SimpleMovieDemo at 43
>>>> movie = Screen('OpenMovie', win, moviename);
>>>>
>>>
>>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Post your message to: psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com
> Please indicate OS9, OSX, or WIN version, and include your full name.
> Denis Pelli, David Brainard, and Allen Ingling.
> http://psychtoolbox.org
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
I did read the instructions and understand that 1.0 series isnt yet supported. The PTB gstreamer help gives a link for download and this leads you to the 1.0 series not the .10 series. This is probably because gstreamer stopped supporting the .10 series and changed their website after PTB put that link the help.

I posted here because I cannot find the correct version of gstreamer for download anywhere so I am looking for a workaround. Any advice would be appreciated.

--- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "Mario" <mario.kleiner@...> wrote:
>
>
>
> --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "ok_parker1" <castle.liz@> wrote:
> >
> > I downloaded the gstreamer libraries from here: http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/pkg/osx/1.0.9/ (1.0.9 which I guess isn't fully supported in psych toolbox? But the 0.10 series doesn't see to be available anymore because gstreamer no longer supports it). I fully installed the .dmg and .pks through that link so everything should be there.
> >
>
> Have you considered at some point reading the installation instructions, as pointed out by ptb to you? Citing from what you posted:
>
> > PTB-ERROR: Another reason could be that you have GStreamer version 1.0 instead of the required
> > PTB-ERROR: version 0.10 installed. The version 1 series is not yet supported.
> > PTB-ERROR: Please read the help by typing 'help GStreamer' for installation and troubleshooting
> > PTB-ERROR: instructions.
>
> At some point we'll switch to the version 1 series, but given that v1.x is less than a year old, whereas the 0.10 series had a decade to mature, my feeling is to take things slowly, given the complexity of the software.
>
> > Also, you need XCode because Subversion is included it, and mountain lion no longer has Subversion built in.
> >
>
> That's depressing. Apple calls this loss of default functionality in 10.8 progress? I hope there are some places one can download Subversion for OSX with some lower overhead than a full XCode download?
>
> -mario
>
> >
> > --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "Mario" <mario.kleiner@> wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > It can't find or load the GStreamer libraries.
> > >
> > > Where did you install GStreamer from? Did you follow the installation instructions closely? Did you install the runtime libraries from the 2013.6 SDK?
> > >
> > > I'm not sure why you'd need XCode for this?
> > > -mario
> > >
> > > --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "ok_parker1" <castle.liz@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Sorry to be a bother, but I cannot find a solution to my problem online yet so I thought I would post.
> > > >
> > > > I cannot play videos (including SimpleMovieDemo) with psychtoolbox because I get this gstreamer error pasted below. I have a macbook pro, am running mountain lion, and matlab 7.9.0 r2009b. I just updated psychtoolbox, downloaded xcode (and installed the command line tools), and downloaded all of gstreamer today so everything should be up to date.
> > > >
> > > > >> SimpleMovieDemo
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > PTB-INFO: This is Psychtoolbox-3 for Apple OS X, under Matlab 64-Bit (Version 3.0.11 - Build date: Jul 23 2013).
> > > > PTB-INFO: Type 'PsychtoolboxVersion' for more detailed version information.
> > > > PTB-INFO: Most parts of the Psychtoolbox distribution are licensed to you under terms of the MIT License, with
> > > > PTB-INFO: some restrictions. See file 'License.txt' in the Psychtoolbox root folder for the exact licensing conditions.
> > > >
> > > > PTB-INFO: Deficient Apple OS/X 10.7 or later detected: Would use fragile CoreVideo timestamping as fallback,
> > > > PTB-INFO: if beamposition timestamping would not work. Will try to use beamposition timestamping if possible.
> > > > PTB-INFO: Installation of the PsychtoolboxKernelDriver is strongly recommended if you care about precise visual onset timestamping
> > > > PTB-INFO: or timing. See 'help PsychtoolboxKernelDriver' for instructions.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > PTB-INFO: You are using a multi-display setup (2 active displays):
> > > > PTB-INFO: Please read 'help MultiDisplaySetups' for specific information on the Do's, Dont's,
> > > > PTB-INFO: and possible causes of trouble and how to diagnose and resolve them.
> > > >
> > > > PTB-INFO: According to the operating system, some of your connected displays do not seem to
> > > > PTB-INFO: be switched into mirror mode. For a discussion of mirror mode vs. non-mirror mode,
> > > > PTB-INFO: please read 'help MirrorMode'.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > PTB-INFO: OpenGL-Renderer is Intel Inc. :: Intel HD Graphics 4000 OpenGL Engine :: 2.1 INTEL-8.10.44
> > > > PTB-INFO: Renderer has 1156 MB of VRAM and a maximum 512 MB of texture memory.
> > > > PTB-INFO: VBL startline = 1080 , VBL Endline = -1
> > > > PTB-INFO: Beamposition queries unsupported on this system. Will try to use kernel-level vbl interrupts as fallback.
> > > > PTB-INFO: Measured monitor refresh interval from VBLsync = 16.663511 ms [60.011363 Hz]. (50 valid samples taken, stddev=0.053009 ms.)
> > > > PTB-INFO: Reported monitor refresh interval from operating system = 16.666662 ms [60.000015 Hz].
> > > > PTB-INFO: Small deviations between reported values are normal and no reason to worry.
> > > > PTB-INFO: Support for fast OffscreenWindows enabled.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > PTB-ERROR: Tried to startup GStreamer multi-media framework. This didn't work, because one
> > > > PTB-ERROR: of the required GStreamer runtime libraries failed to load, probably because it
> > > > PTB-ERROR: could not be found, could not be accessed (e.g., due to permission problems),
> > > > PTB-ERROR: or most likely because GStreamer isn't installed on this machine at all.
> > > > PTB-ERROR: Another reason could be that you have GStreamer version 1.0 instead of the required
> > > > PTB-ERROR: version 0.10 installed. The version 1 series is not yet supported.
> > > >
> > > > PTB-ERROR: Please read the help by typing 'help GStreamer' for installation and troubleshooting
> > > > PTB-ERROR: instructions.
> > > >
> > > > PTB-ERROR: Due to failed GStreamer initialization, the movie playback engine is disabled for this session.
> > > >
> > > > Error in function OpenMovie: Usage error
> > > > GStreamer initialization failed due to library loading problems. Aborted.
> > > > ??? Error using ==> Screen
> > > > Usage:
> > > >
> > > > [ moviePtr [duration] [fps] [width] [height] [count] [aspectRatio]]=Screen('OpenMovie',
> > > > windowPtr, moviefile [, async=0] [, preloadSecs=1] [, specialFlags1=0][, pixelFormat=4][,
> > > > maxNumberThreads=-1]);
> > > >
> > > > Error in ==> SimpleMovieDemo at 43
> > > > movie = Screen('OpenMovie', win, moviename);
> > > >
> > >
> >
>
So my whole lab seems to be stumped here. I downloaded/installed the runtime files from gstreamer.com as advised which initially appeared to work as Library/Frameworks/Gstreamer.Frameworks/ is now populated. Despite this, it seems like the install was not entirely successful because gst-launch-0.1 is an unrecognized command. There seems to be very little opportunity for user error in this install process - any thoughts on what could have gone wrong?

Also when I run SimpleMovieDemo still gives me an error. This time it appears to be looking for a plugin I dont have (error below). Any advice about where I can find this (and why this toolbox was missing in the first place)? Thanks so much.

PTB-ERROR: Statechange failed with GST_STATE_CHANGE_FAILURE!
PTB-ERROR: GStreamer movie playback engine reports this error:
Error from element decodebin20: Your GStreamer installation is missing a plug-in.
Additional debug info: gstdecodebin2.c(3679): gst_decode_bin_expose (): /GstPlayBin2:ptbmovieplaybackpipeline/GstURIDecodeBin:uridecodebin0/GstDecodeBin2:decodebin20:
no suitable plugins found.

Error from element decodebin20: Your GStreamer installation is missing a plug-in.
Additional debug info: gstdecodebin2.c(3679): gst_decode_bin_expose (): /GstPlayBin2:ptbmovieplaybackpipeline/GstURIDecodeBin:uridecodebin0/GstDecodeBin2:decodebin20:
no suitable plugins found.

Error from element qtdemux0: GStreamer encountered a general stream error.
Additional debug info: qtdemux.c(3941): gst_qtdemux_loop (): /GstPlayBin2:ptbmovieplaybackpipeline/GstURIDecodeBin:uridecodebin0/GstDecodeBin2:decodebin20/GstQTDemux:qtdemux0:
streaming stopped, reason not-linked.

--- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "Mario" <mario.kleiner@...> wrote:
>
>
>
> Did you get GStreamer for OSX from HomeBrew in the past? They indeed recently switched from 0.10 to 1.0 without warning, sense, rhyme or reason. Proper versioning doesn't seem to be their strong point.
>
> However, past 'help GStreamer' told you also to preferrably get the GStreamer SDK from www.gstreamer.com, which always has and continues to provide GStreamer-0.10. Current 'help GStreamer' tells you to only get it from www.gstreamer.com until we manage to get the HomeBrew people to restore full 0.10 support again.
>
> You could try my current attempt to reenable it for HomeBrew by following this discussion:
>
> <https://github.com/kleinerm/Psychtoolbox-3/issues/30>
>
> I can't ask the HomeBrew people to apply our fix until i know it works, and Ian didn't have time so far to look into careful testing, neither do i. If you want to try this and report back results, maybe we can soon reenable support from HomeBrew for those who want that.
>
> But the simple thing is just to stick to the www.gstreamer.com stuff. With the current ptb beta, it is almost equivalent in functionality and performance and much simper to install than from HomeBrew.
>
> [It's ironic that HomeBrew's slogan was "MacPorts driving you to drink? Try Homebrew!". Almost everything about the Apple operating system, including HomeBrew, almost drives me to drink].
>
> -mario
>
>
> --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "ok_parker1" <castle.liz@> wrote:
> >
> > I did read the instructions and understand that 1.0 series isnt yet supported. The PTB gstreamer help gives a link for download and this leads you to the 1.0 series not the .10 series. This is probably because gstreamer stopped supporting the .10 series and changed their website after PTB put that link the help.
> >
> > I posted here because I cannot find the correct version of gstreamer for download anywhere so I am looking for a workaround. Any advice would be appreciated.
> >
> >
> > --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "Mario" <mario.kleiner@> wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "ok_parker1" <castle.liz@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > I downloaded the gstreamer libraries from here: http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/pkg/osx/1.0.9/ (1.0.9 which I guess isn't fully supported in psych toolbox? But the 0.10 series doesn't see to be available anymore because gstreamer no longer supports it). I fully installed the .dmg and .pks through that link so everything should be there.
> > > >
> > >
> > > Have you considered at some point reading the installation instructions, as pointed out by ptb to you? Citing from what you posted:
> > >
> > > > PTB-ERROR: Another reason could be that you have GStreamer version 1.0 instead of the required
> > > > PTB-ERROR: version 0.10 installed. The version 1 series is not yet supported.
> > > > PTB-ERROR: Please read the help by typing 'help GStreamer' for installation and troubleshooting
> > > > PTB-ERROR: instructions.
> > >
> > > At some point we'll switch to the version 1 series, but given that v1.x is less than a year old, whereas the 0.10 series had a decade to mature, my feeling is to take things slowly, given the complexity of the software.
> > >
> > > > Also, you need XCode because Subversion is included it, and mountain lion no longer has Subversion built in.
> > > >
> > >
> > > That's depressing. Apple calls this loss of default functionality in 10.8 progress? I hope there are some places one can download Subversion for OSX with some lower overhead than a full XCode download?
> > >
> > > -mario
> > >
> > > >
> > > > --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "Mario" <mario.kleiner@> wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > It can't find or load the GStreamer libraries.
> > > > >
> > > > > Where did you install GStreamer from? Did you follow the installation instructions closely? Did you install the runtime libraries from the 2013.6 SDK?
> > > > >
> > > > > I'm not sure why you'd need XCode for this?
> > > > > -mario
> > > > >
> > > > > --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "ok_parker1" <castle.liz@> wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Sorry to be a bother, but I cannot find a solution to my problem online yet so I thought I would post.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > I cannot play videos (including SimpleMovieDemo) with psychtoolbox because I get this gstreamer error pasted below. I have a macbook pro, am running mountain lion, and matlab 7.9.0 r2009b. I just updated psychtoolbox, downloaded xcode (and installed the command line tools), and downloaded all of gstreamer today so everything should be up to date.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > >> SimpleMovieDemo
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > PTB-INFO: This is Psychtoolbox-3 for Apple OS X, under Matlab 64-Bit (Version 3.0.11 - Build date: Jul 23 2013).
> > > > > > PTB-INFO: Type 'PsychtoolboxVersion' for more detailed version information.
> > > > > > PTB-INFO: Most parts of the Psychtoolbox distribution are licensed to you under terms of the MIT License, with
> > > > > > PTB-INFO: some restrictions. See file 'License.txt' in the Psychtoolbox root folder for the exact licensing conditions.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > PTB-INFO: Deficient Apple OS/X 10.7 or later detected: Would use fragile CoreVideo timestamping as fallback,
> > > > > > PTB-INFO: if beamposition timestamping would not work. Will try to use beamposition timestamping if possible.
> > > > > > PTB-INFO: Installation of the PsychtoolboxKernelDriver is strongly recommended if you care about precise visual onset timestamping
> > > > > > PTB-INFO: or timing. See 'help PsychtoolboxKernelDriver' for instructions.
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > PTB-INFO: You are using a multi-display setup (2 active displays):
> > > > > > PTB-INFO: Please read 'help MultiDisplaySetups' for specific information on the Do's, Dont's,
> > > > > > PTB-INFO: and possible causes of trouble and how to diagnose and resolve them.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > PTB-INFO: According to the operating system, some of your connected displays do not seem to
> > > > > > PTB-INFO: be switched into mirror mode. For a discussion of mirror mode vs. non-mirror mode,
> > > > > > PTB-INFO: please read 'help MirrorMode'.
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > PTB-INFO: OpenGL-Renderer is Intel Inc. :: Intel HD Graphics 4000 OpenGL Engine :: 2.1 INTEL-8.10.44
> > > > > > PTB-INFO: Renderer has 1156 MB of VRAM and a maximum 512 MB of texture memory.
> > > > > > PTB-INFO: VBL startline = 1080 , VBL Endline = -1
> > > > > > PTB-INFO: Beamposition queries unsupported on this system. Will try to use kernel-level vbl interrupts as fallback.
> > > > > > PTB-INFO: Measured monitor refresh interval from VBLsync = 16.663511 ms [60.011363 Hz]. (50 valid samples taken, stddev=0.053009 ms.)
> > > > > > PTB-INFO: Reported monitor refresh interval from operating system = 16.666662 ms [60.000015 Hz].
> > > > > > PTB-INFO: Small deviations between reported values are normal and no reason to worry.
> > > > > > PTB-INFO: Support for fast OffscreenWindows enabled.
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > PTB-ERROR: Tried to startup GStreamer multi-media framework. This didn't work, because one
> > > > > > PTB-ERROR: of the required GStreamer runtime libraries failed to load, probably because it
> > > > > > PTB-ERROR: could not be found, could not be accessed (e.g., due to permission problems),
> > > > > > PTB-ERROR: or most likely because GStreamer isn't installed on this machine at all.
> > > > > > PTB-ERROR: Another reason could be that you have GStreamer version 1.0 instead of the required
> > > > > > PTB-ERROR: version 0.10 installed. The version 1 series is not yet supported.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > PTB-ERROR: Please read the help by typing 'help GStreamer' for installation and troubleshooting
> > > > > > PTB-ERROR: instructions.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > PTB-ERROR: Due to failed GStreamer initialization, the movie playback engine is disabled for this session.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Error in function OpenMovie: Usage error
> > > > > > GStreamer initialization failed due to library loading problems. Aborted.
> > > > > > ??? Error using ==> Screen
> > > > > > Usage:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > [ moviePtr [duration] [fps] [width] [height] [count] [aspectRatio]]=Screen('OpenMovie',
> > > > > > windowPtr, moviefile [, async=0] [, preloadSecs=1] [, specialFlags1=0][, pixelFormat=4][,
> > > > > > maxNumberThreads=-1]);
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Error in ==> SimpleMovieDemo at 43
> > > > > > movie = Screen('OpenMovie', win, moviename);
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
>