problems installing PTB 3.0.11 in Windows7 32bit

Hello all:

Mario, thanks for all of your help in the past, and for the great current version of PTB. I promise as soon as the next grant lands, I will contribute a donation, and I have asked PIs on current grants to do so as well. I’m hoping other PTB users can help me with this and you can spend your time on more important things.

One of my current consulting jobs has a few OS & hardware variables that are outside of my control. I’m looking for help installing the most recent version of PTB possible on a lab full of Windows 7 (32 bit) machines. They are currently running MATLAB 2013b, but I could upgrade that to 2015b 32 bit if necessary.

My reading of the psychtoolbox.org is that PTB 3.0.11 is the version I am after. I have an old copy of this (3 July 2013 release), but would like to have the final version:

Does anyone know where I can easily download a copy of the final PTB 3.0.11 to install on Windows?

I’ve put a copy of my PTB 3.0.11 folder on the windows machine, and run the standard SetupPsychtoolbox, but it crashes in PsychtoolboxPostInstallRoutine — IsWIn, IsOctave, and other variables are not defined (nor can I see how they would be in that function’s code). Installing Subversion is also not an option for this client right now).

Does anyone now why SetupPsychToolbox would be failing in this way?

I’ve developed a suite of economic game experiments and implicit bias measures over the years, and need to be able to deploy these in multi-user labs that have less-than-psychophysics-ready hardware and software (which also require less-than-psychophysics-demanding stimulus control). Linux OS and most-recent MATLAB is not always an option. Thanks in advance to anyone available to lend a hand here.

PTB version: 3.0.11 
MATLAB version: 2013b
The last 3.0.11 was "Goto fail" from 6-April-2014:

https://github.com/Psychtoolbox-3/Psychtoolbox-3/releases/tag/PTB_Beta-2014-04-06_V3.0.11

You can use DownloadPsychtoolbox with the optional 'flavor' parameter set to 'Psychtoolbox-3.0.11' or if you can't use Subversion you can download a zip file from the bottom of the above link, unzip, do the SetupPsychtoolbox thing from within the Psychtoolbox folder. This will not only download the Psychtoolbox folder but unavoidably also the complete source code of that release. Obviously you can opt to only distribute the regular Psychtoolbox folder as zip file then.

SetupPsychtoolbox adds the Psychtoolbox folder to the Matlab path, so the postinstall routine should be able to find all the M-file functions it requires to work, so a failure would be a bit weird.

Atm. you could also use the current PTB beta with 32-Bit Octave-4 on 32-Bit Windows. That frees your users from the need for Matlab licenses, but apart from Octave-4 you must also install GStreamer regardless if you need multi-media functions or not, both before SetupPsychtoolbox etc. are run. I think installing Octave and GStreamer is still much faster than installing Matlab. However 32-Bit Octave-4 is just a stop gap measure until 64-Bit Octave for Windows becomes available, so this renewed 32-Bit Windows support will probably be a time limited thing.

best,
-mario

---In PSYCHTOOLBOX@yahoogroups.com, <thomasfikes@...> wrote :

Hello all:

Mario, thanks for all of your help in the past, and for the great current version of PTB. I promise as soon as the next grant lands, I will contribute a donation, and I have asked PIs on current grants to do so as well. I’m hoping other PTB users can help me with this and you can spend your time on more important things.

One of my current consulting jobs has a few OS & hardware variables that are outside of my control. I’m looking for help installing the most recent version of PTB possible on a lab full of Windows 7 (32 bit) machines. They are currently running MATLAB 2013b, but I could upgrade that to 2015b 32 bit if necessary.

My reading of the psychtoolbox.org is that PTB 3.0.11 is the version I am after. I have an old copy of this (3 July 2013 release), but would like to have the final version:

Does anyone know where I can easily download a copy of the final PTB 3.0.11 to install on Windows?

I’ve put a copy of my PTB 3.0.11 folder on the windows machine, and run the standard SetupPsychtoolbox, but it crashes in PsychtoolboxPostInstallRoutine — IsWIn, IsOctave, and other variables are not defined (nor can I see how they would be in that function’s code). Installing Subversion is also not an option for this client right now).

I’ve developed a suite of economic game experiments and implicit bias measures over the years, and need to be able to deploy these in multi-user labs that have less-than-psychophysics-ready hardware and software (which also require less-than-psychophysics-demanding stimulus control). Linux OS and most-recent MATLAB is not always an option. Thanks in advance to anyone available to lend a hand here.

Thank you Mario. That download solved my problems. Thanks for the tips on 32bit octave on Windows as well... Very helpful. 

Tom

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tom Fikes
sent from my mobile

On Mar 15, 2016, at 8:06 PM, mario.kleiner@... [PSYCHTOOLBOX] <PSYCHTOOLBOX@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

The last 3.0.11 was "Goto fail" from 6-April-2014:

https://github.com/Psychtoolbox-3/Psychtoolbox-3/releases/tag/PTB_Beta-2014-04-06_V3.0.11

You can use DownloadPsychtoolbox with the optional 'flavor' parameter set to 'Psychtoolbox-3.0.11' or if you can't use Subversion you can download a zip file from the bottom of the above link, unzip, do the SetupPsychtoolbox thing from within the Psychtoolbox folder. This will not only download the Psychtoolbox folder but unavoidably also the complete source code of that release. Obviously you can opt to only distribute the regular Psychtoolbox folder as zip file then.

SetupPsychtoolbox adds the Psychtoolbox folder to the Matlab path, so the postinstall routine should be able to find all the M-file functions it requires to work, so a failure would be a bit weird.

Atm. you could also use the current PTB beta with 32-Bit Octave-4 on 32-Bit Windows. That frees your users from the need for Matlab licenses, but apart from Octave-4 you must also install GStreamer regardless if you need multi-media functions or not, both before SetupPsychtoolbox etc. are run. I think installing Octave and GStreamer is still much faster than installing Matlab. However 32-Bit Octave-4 is just a stop gap measure until 64-Bit Octave for Windows becomes available, so this renewed 32-Bit Windows support will probably be a time limited thing.

best,
-mario

---In PSYCHTOOLBOX@yahoogroups.com, <thomasfikes@...> wrote :

Hello all: