Problems with installing PsychtoolboxKernelDriver on OS X 10.8

Hi all,

I am fairly new to psychtoolbox and it seems to offer exactly what I need. However, I was wondering if anyone could help me out here.

Since I do care about precise time stamping in my experiment, I would like to install the kernel driver (64-bit). When I follow the instructions from the help command, the terminal returns an error; so that's where it ends for me so far.

When I type
cd /System/Library/Extensions/
terminal returns with:
unknown:Extensions 'myusername'$

When I try to unzip the driver regardless, I get:
unzip: cannot find or open /PathToPsychtoolbox/Psychtoolbox/PsychHardware/PsychtoolboxKernelDriver64Bit.kext.zip, /PathToPsychtoolbox/Psychtoolbox/PsychHardware/PsychtoolboxKernelDriver64Bit.kext.zip.zip or /PathToPsychtoolbox/Psychtoolbox/PsychHardware/PsychtoolboxKernelDriver64Bit.kext.zip.ZIP.
unknown:Extensions 'myusername'$

I realise that this has more to do with my mac than PTB, but I have no idea why it can't seem to find the extensions folder under my user name, while I am sure that I have full admin rights on my own computer.

In case it matters, I am running PTB-3 and Matlab R2013a on OS X Mountain Lion. If more info is needed for trouble shooting, let me know.

Any suggestions?
--- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "cescoyouth" <cescoyouth@...> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am fairly new to psychtoolbox and it seems to offer exactly what I need. However, I was wondering if anyone could help me out here.
>
> Since I do care about precise time stamping in my experiment, I would like to install the kernel driver (64-bit). When I follow the instructions from the help command, the terminal returns an error; so that's where it ends for me so far.
>
> When I type
> cd /System/Library/Extensions/
> terminal returns with:
> unknown:Extensions 'myusername'$
>

It should. It's called a shell prompt, ready to take new commands.

> When I try to unzip the driver regardless, I get:
> unzip: cannot find or open /PathToPsychtoolbox/Psychtoolbox/PsychHardware/PsychtoolboxKernelDriver64Bit.kext.zip, /PathToPsychtoolbox/Psychtoolbox/PsychHardware/PsychtoolboxKernelDriver64Bit.kext.zip.zip or /PathToPsychtoolbox/Psychtoolbox/PsychHardware/PsychtoolboxKernelDriver64Bit.kext.zip.ZIP.
> unknown:Extensions 'myusername'$
>
> I realise that this has more to do with my mac than PTB, but I have no idea why it can't seem to find the extensions folder under my user name, while I am sure that I have full admin rights on my own computer.
>

/PathToPsychtoolbox/ was meant to mean "the full path to your Psychtoolbox folder". E.g., if you installed Psychtoolbox as

/Users/literally/Psychtoolbox/

then you'd need to replace /PathToPsychtoolbox/ by

/Users/literally/

resulting finally in the command:

sudo unzip /Users/literally/Psychtoolbox/PsychHardware/PsychtoolboxKernelDriver64Bit.kext.zip

Hope it helps,
-mario
Thanks a lot Mario!

I had figured out that i shouldn't have taken the /pathtopsychtoolbox/ to literally haha. I managed to do this, as I found the .kext file in my Extensions folder (which at first I couldn't find, due to only having had Mountain Lion for a week; Matlab wouldn't run on Snow Leopard). Turns out the 'unknown:~' statement in terminal was nothing to worry about.

When running a script, Matlab still informs me about the kernel driver; but all of its associated warnings seem to be gone now, so I suppose all is well.

Cheers!

--- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "Mario" <mario.kleiner@...> wrote:
>
>
>
> --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "cescoyouth" <cescoyouth@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am fairly new to psychtoolbox and it seems to offer exactly what I need. However, I was wondering if anyone could help me out here.
> >
> > Since I do care about precise time stamping in my experiment, I would like to install the kernel driver (64-bit). When I follow the instructions from the help command, the terminal returns an error; so that's where it ends for me so far.
> >
> > When I type
> > cd /System/Library/Extensions/
> > terminal returns with:
> > unknown:Extensions 'myusername'$
> >
>
> It should. It's called a shell prompt, ready to take new commands.
>
> > When I try to unzip the driver regardless, I get:
> > unzip: cannot find or open /PathToPsychtoolbox/Psychtoolbox/PsychHardware/PsychtoolboxKernelDriver64Bit.kext.zip, /PathToPsychtoolbox/Psychtoolbox/PsychHardware/PsychtoolboxKernelDriver64Bit.kext.zip.zip or /PathToPsychtoolbox/Psychtoolbox/PsychHardware/PsychtoolboxKernelDriver64Bit.kext.zip.ZIP.
> > unknown:Extensions 'myusername'$
> >
> > I realise that this has more to do with my mac than PTB, but I have no idea why it can't seem to find the extensions folder under my user name, while I am sure that I have full admin rights on my own computer.
> >
>
> /PathToPsychtoolbox/ was meant to mean "the full path to your Psychtoolbox folder". E.g., if you installed Psychtoolbox as
>
> /Users/literally/Psychtoolbox/
>
> then you'd need to replace /PathToPsychtoolbox/ by
>
> /Users/literally/
>
> resulting finally in the command:
>
> sudo unzip /Users/literally/Psychtoolbox/PsychHardware/PsychtoolboxKernelDriver64Bit.kext.zip
>
> Hope it helps,
> -mario
>