PTB for GNU Octave in Ubuntu 22.04

From previous advice, citing myself:

Make sure to login into a GUI session that is X11/Xorg based, not Wayland based, or you will end with the Wayland nightmare of just blank black screens and a hang, cfe. Screen(‘OpenWindow’) and PsychImaging(‘OpenWindow’) produce black screen - #6 by mariokleiner

Currently you seem to have v3.0.18.4 from Ubuntu itself, and that version lacks automatic Wayland detection and troubleshooting for this problem → Don’t use Wayland, use a Xorg/X11 GUI session. This should make visual stimulation working.

Yesterday I got feedback from Yaroslav Halchenko of team NeuroDebian that they currently can’t provide updated packages via NeuroDebian for Ubuntu 22.04-LTS due to some technical problems. That’s a pity as i want people to upgrade to Ubuntu 22.04-LTS, it has substantial improvements for neuroscience applications, and NeuroDebian would be the most convenient method for that. But it is what it is…

Therefore, for the time being, it would be best if you’d use the DownloadPsychtoolbox method as described on our website under “Subversion-based installation”, to get the latest 3.0.18.9 release, and then UpdatePsychtoolbox as needed, iow. the same procedure as when using MS-Windows or macOS.

EDIT: Yaroslav found a solution, and I’m pleased to report that the latest PTB 3.0.18.9 is now available from NeuroDebian for Ubuntu 22.04-LTS. There won’t be any support for the outdated Ubuntu 21.10 though, as that reaches end of life in 2 months anyway, so no point in providing packages for it.

-mario

1 Like