PTB Update changes effect of Screen('BlendFunction'... on movie textures?

I just updated to PTB 3.0.12 from 3.0.11 today, and it seems to have caused a strange side effect in my experimental script, whereby movies now appear at ~50% contrast.

Previously I set Screen('BlendFunction', GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA) at the start of my multi-experiment function and alpha blending worked as desired for all experiment types (drawing images with Gaussian masks, dots, lines, movies, etc). Now it seems that I have to update alpha blending when I switch to the movie experiment using Screen('BlendFunction', GL_DST_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_DST_ALPHA) in order for movies to appear correctly (i.e. full contrast).

Perhaps this is the correct way of doing things and I was somehow getting away with my error up until now, but can anybody explain to me why this solution works? I'm using Screen('OpenMovie') with the 'pixelFormat' input set to 4 for RGBA8 (default) but I do have a mixture of .avi, .mp4, and .wmv video files. It's not clear to me why the alpha channel of these movies would be anything less than 1 though... (I'm running the latest GStreamer on Matlab 2013a, Windows 7 with an NVidia GTX 650 Ti).

Thanks!

Aidan Murphy, PhD
Section on Cognitive Neurophysiology and Imaging,
Laboratory of Neuropsychology, NIMH
Not here, as tested with v3.0.12 on Linux with Octave and Windows-7/NVidia GTX-970 with Octave and Matlab R2015b (running -nojvm) and latest GStreamer 1.6.0 for Windows. Adding blendfunction calls to PlayMoviesDemo.m and selecting pixelformat 4 does not have any effect on contrast for any of our demo movies.

So i'm not sure what's happening on your side? I guess you'd need to provide a minimal script that demonstrates the problem, but it sounds like this could be some other bug in your script, or a NVidia graphics driver bug?

-mario

XX---In PSYCHTOOLBOX@yahoogroups.com, <murphyap1@...> wrote :

I just updated to PTB 3.0.12 from 3.0.11 today, and it seems to have caused a strange side effect in my experimental script, whereby movies now appear at ~50% contrast.

Previously I set Screen('BlendFunction', GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA) at the start of my multi-experiment function and alpha blending worked as desired for all experiment types (drawing images with Gaussian masks, dots, lines, movies, etc). Now it seems that I have to update alpha blending when I switch to the movie experiment using Screen('BlendFunction', GL_DST_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_DST_ALPHA) in order for movies to appear correctly (i.e. full contrast).

Perhaps this is the correct way of doing things and I was somehow getting away with my error up until now, but can anybody explain to me why this solution works? I'm using Screen('OpenMovie') with the 'pixelFormat' input set to 4 for RGBA8 (default) but I do have a mixture of .avi, .mp4, and .wmv video files. It's not clear to me why the alpha channel of these movies would be anything less than 1 though... (I'm running the latest GStreamer on Matlab 2013a, Windows 7 with an NVidia GTX 650 Ti).

Thanks!

Aidan Murphy, PhD
Section on Cognitive Neurophysiology and Imaging,
Laboratory of Neuropsychology, NIMH