Screen.mex error after installation

Dear All,

I have installed psychtoolbox 3.0.9 (SVN revision 2596) in conjunction with Octave 3.2.4 gcc-4.4.0 on a Win7 Pro 64-bit system. My problem is this error message after trying to run Screen:

error: could not find library or dependents: E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\PsychBasic\Octave3WindowsFiles\Screen.mex

This error message persists after doing a lot of things:

1) As per the instructions from help GStreamer, I installed GStreamer from here: "GStreamer-WinBuilds-GPL-x86-Beta04-0.10.7.msi"
and renamed E:\Octave\3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0\bin\iconv.dll to iconv_DISABLED.dll (I installed Octave under E:/ instead of C:/, and psychtoolbox under E:/toolbox, I wonder if that was a mistake)

2) Installed microsoft visual c++ 2005 redistributable vcredit_x86.exe

3) Running SetupPsychtoolbox again.

It seems from forum posts that Octave+Windows is not a recommended combo to run Psychtoolbox...but its all I have for now. The reason for a legacy version of psychtoolbox is due to an error message when first trying to run the installer (with Octave on Windows, it has to run on Octave 3.2.4 and psychtoolbox 3.0.9). I am a Octave/Matlab novice so there might be something very fundamental that I overlooked, I wonder if anyone can shed some light on how to get Screen running.

Thank you very much for your help, below is the message after running setuppsychtoolbox.

Amy

-------
This is the following that appeared after running SetupPsychtoolbox:

warning: savepath: current path saved to ~\.octaverc
Octave major version 3 detected. Will prepend the following folder to your Octave path:
E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\PsychBasic\Octave3WindowsFiles ...
warning: savepath: current path saved to ~\.octaverc

A very simple test call to the Screen() MEX file failed in AssertOpenGL, indicating
that either Screen is totally dysfunctional, or you are trying to run your script on
a system without Psychtoolbox-3 properly installed - or not installed at all.

The most likely cause, based on the fact you are running on Octave under Windows
and given this error message: could not find library or dependents: E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\PsychBasic\Octave3WindowsFiles\Screen.mex
is that the required GStreamer runtime libraries are not yet installed on your system.

Please type 'help GStreamer' and read the installation instructions carefully.
After this one-time setup, the Screen command should work properly.

If this has been ruled out as a reason for failure, the following could be the case:

This script or function is designated to run only an Psychtoolbox based on OpenGL. Read "help AssertOpenGL" for more info.

A first more diagnostic test would be to simply type Screen in your Matlab/Octave console and check what its output is.

The returned error message by Matlab/Octave was:
Last Error: could not find library or dependents: E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\PsychBasic\Octave3WindowsFiles\Screen.mex ()
<a href="matlab:opentoline('E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\PsychOneliners\AssertOpenGL.m',91)">E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\PsychOneliners\AssertOpenGL.m,91</a>
<a href="matlab:opentoline('E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\PsychtoolboxPostInstallRoutine.m',602)">E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\PsychtoolboxPostInstallRoutine.m,602</a>
<a href="matlab:opentoline('E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\SetupPsychtoolbox.m',223)">E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\SetupPsychtoolbox.m,223</a>

Screen() or online registration failed to work under MS-Windows with GNU/Octave-3:

Probably the required GStreamer multimedia framework is not yet installed on your system.

Please type 'help GStreamer' and follow the displayed installation instructions carefully.
After this one-time setup, the Screen command should work properly.

If this has been ruled out as a reason for failure, check the troubleshooting instructions on
our Wiki (Download section and FAQ section, maybe also the Bugs section).

-----------
But I have installed GStreamer!
Hi Amy,

indeed, PTB 3.0.9 is no longer supported in any way, neither is Octave on Windows. The acceptance was just too disappointingly low, in relationship to the significant maintenance overhead for Octave on Windows. It only got about 100 installations after multiple years of availability. The test system i used for maintaining and testing it doesn't even exist anymore.

As such you are mostly on your own. If you are on Windows i'd recommend installing Linux on it. This link

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/install-ubuntu-with-windows

leads to the WUBI installer, which makes it easy and safe to install a Ubuntu 12.04 system inside a Windows system and then dual-boot between Windows-7 and Ubuntu Linux. Within Ubuntu Linux, NeuroDebian provides a convenient and up to date Psychtoolbox for octave or matlab:

http://neuro.debian.net/pkgs/octave-psychtoolbox-3.html#pkg-octave-psychtoolbox-3

Other than that, it would be nice if somebody who successfully installed octave for Windows would help Amy. A few people did after we officially cancelled it, so it must be still possible.

Below are my remaining notes on octave + Windows in case that helps, but they are not neccessarily complete. It might be neccessary to also install Apple's Quicktime for Windows, even if you don't use it, to get the QTMLClient.dll from that runtime package. I remember that when a mex file failed to load, as in your case, a Windows warning dialog box popped up, which told you what library (DLL) was actually missing and caused the load failure? That would be the best hint on what is missing.

Btw. your installation on a different drive than C: probably doesn't matter.

Good luck if you take this route,
-mario

---- Notes ----

The .lib files and .dll files in this folder must be copied into:

C:\Octave\3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0\mingw32\lib\ with 3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0 replaced by current Octave version.

For properly working Datapixx.mex (Until recompile by Peter)
Additionally, one must create a copy of...

C:\Octave\3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0\bin\libgcc_s_whateverthenameis.dll as

...as...

C:\Octave\3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0\bin\libgcc_tdm_dw_2_1.dll

Additionally for Screen.mex one must delete (or rename)...

C:\Octave\3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0\bin\iconv.dll

... so the iconv.dll from GStreamer is used instead.

For PsychHID, one must copy libusb-1.0.dll (Octave version) to

C:\Octave\3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0\bin\

or alternatively copy it into the C:\Windows\system32\ folder.

--- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "aclee224" <aclee224@...> wrote:
>
> Dear All,
>
> I have installed psychtoolbox 3.0.9 (SVN revision 2596) in conjunction with Octave 3.2.4 gcc-4.4.0 on a Win7 Pro 64-bit system. My problem is this error message after trying to run Screen:
>
> error: could not find library or dependents: E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\PsychBasic\Octave3WindowsFiles\Screen.mex
>
> This error message persists after doing a lot of things:
>
> 1) As per the instructions from help GStreamer, I installed GStreamer from here: "GStreamer-WinBuilds-GPL-x86-Beta04-0.10.7.msi"
> and renamed E:\Octave\3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0\bin\iconv.dll to iconv_DISABLED.dll (I installed Octave under E:/ instead of C:/, and psychtoolbox under E:/toolbox, I wonder if that was a mistake)
>
> 2) Installed microsoft visual c++ 2005 redistributable vcredit_x86.exe
>
> 3) Running SetupPsychtoolbox again.
>
> It seems from forum posts that Octave+Windows is not a recommended combo to run Psychtoolbox...but its all I have for now. The reason for a legacy version of psychtoolbox is due to an error message when first trying to run the installer (with Octave on Windows, it has to run on Octave 3.2.4 and psychtoolbox 3.0.9). I am a Octave/Matlab novice so there might be something very fundamental that I overlooked, I wonder if anyone can shed some light on how to get Screen running.
>
> Thank you very much for your help, below is the message after running setuppsychtoolbox.
>
> Amy
>
> -------
> This is the following that appeared after running SetupPsychtoolbox:
>
> warning: savepath: current path saved to ~\.octaverc
> Octave major version 3 detected. Will prepend the following folder to your Octave path:
> E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\PsychBasic\Octave3WindowsFiles ...
>
>
>
> A very simple test call to the Screen() MEX file failed in AssertOpenGL, indicating
> that either Screen is totally dysfunctional, or you are trying to run your script on
> a system without Psychtoolbox-3 properly installed - or not installed at all.
>
> The most likely cause, based on the fact you are running on Octave under Windows
> and given this error message: could not find library or dependents: E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\PsychBasic\Octave3WindowsFiles\Screen.mex
> is that the required GStreamer runtime libraries are not yet installed on your system.
>
> Please type 'help GStreamer' and read the installation instructions carefully.
> After this one-time setup, the Screen command should work properly.
>
> If this has been ruled out as a reason for failure, the following could be the case:
>
> This script or function is designated to run only an Psychtoolbox based on OpenGL. Read "help AssertOpenGL" for more info.
>
> A first more diagnostic test would be to simply type Screen in your Matlab/Octave console and check what its output is.
>
>
>
> The returned error message by Matlab/Octave was:
> Last Error: could not find library or dependents: E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\PsychBasic\Octave3WindowsFiles\Screen.mex ()
> <a href="matlab:opentoline('E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\PsychOneliners\AssertOpenGL.m',91)">E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\PsychOneliners\AssertOpenGL.m,91</a>
> <a href="matlab:opentoline('E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\PsychtoolboxPostInstallRoutine.m',602)">E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\PsychtoolboxPostInstallRoutine.m,602</a>
> <a href="matlab:opentoline('E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\SetupPsychtoolbox.m',223)">E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\SetupPsychtoolbox.m,223</a>
>
>
>
> Screen() or online registration failed to work under MS-Windows with GNU/Octave-3:
>
> Probably the required GStreamer multimedia framework is not yet installed on your system.
>
> Please type 'help GStreamer' and follow the displayed installation instructions carefully.
>
> If this has been ruled out as a reason for failure, check the troubleshooting instructions on
> our Wiki (Download section and FAQ section, maybe also the Bugs section).
>
>
> -----------
> But I have installed GStreamer!
>
when I installed octave on windows quite a while back, it was indeed a matter of finding a bunch of missing dlls until it worked, nothing else. There was indeed a popup every time telling me what was missing. I wonder if the missing file error doesn't point to something else being wrong, wouldn't know what it is though... Maybe the short-style name PSYCHT~1 in the path?

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 8:14 AM, Mario <mario.kleiner@...> wrote:

Hi Amy,

indeed, PTB 3.0.9 is no longer supported in any way, neither is Octave on Windows. The acceptance was just too disappointingly low, in relationship to the significant maintenance overhead for Octave on Windows. It only got about 100 installations after multiple years of availability. The test system i used for maintaining and testing it doesn't even exist anymore.

As such you are mostly on your own. If you are on Windows i'd recommend installing Linux on it. This link

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/install-ubuntu-with-windows

leads to the WUBI installer, which makes it easy and safe to install a Ubuntu 12.04 system inside a Windows system and then dual-boot between Windows-7 and Ubuntu Linux. Within Ubuntu Linux, NeuroDebian provides a convenient and up to date Psychtoolbox for octave or matlab:

http://neuro.debian.net/pkgs/octave-psychtoolbox-3.html#pkg-octave-psychtoolbox-3

Other than that, it would be nice if somebody who successfully installed octave for Windows would help Amy. A few people did after we officially cancelled it, so it must be still possible.

Below are my remaining notes on octave + Windows in case that helps, but they are not neccessarily complete. It might be neccessary to also install Apple's Quicktime for Windows, even if you don't use it, to get the QTMLClient.dll from that runtime package. I remember that when a mex file failed to load, as in your case, a Windows warning dialog box popped up, which told you what library (DLL) was actually missing and caused the load failure? That would be the best hint on what is missing.

Btw. your installation on a different drive than C: probably doesn't matter.

Good luck if you take this route,
-mario

---- Notes ----

The .lib files and .dll files in this folder must be copied into:

C:\Octave\3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0\mingw32\lib\ with 3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0 replaced by current Octave version.

For properly working Datapixx.mex (Until recompile by Peter)
Additionally, one must create a copy of...

C:\Octave\3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0\bin\libgcc_s_whateverthenameis.dll as

...as...

C:\Octave\3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0\bin\libgcc_tdm_dw_2_1.dll

Additionally for Screen.mex one must delete (or rename)...

C:\Octave\3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0\bin\iconv.dll

... so the iconv.dll from GStreamer is used instead.

For PsychHID, one must copy libusb-1.0.dll (Octave version) to

C:\Octave\3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0\bin\

or alternatively copy it into the C:\Windows\system32\ folder.

--- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "aclee224" <aclee224@...> wrote:
>
> Dear All,
>
> I have installed psychtoolbox 3.0.9 (SVN revision 2596) in conjunction with Octave 3.2.4 gcc-4.4.0 on a Win7 Pro 64-bit system. My problem is this error message after trying to run Screen:
>
> error: could not find library or dependents: E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\PsychBasic\Octave3WindowsFiles\Screen.mex
>
> This error message persists after doing a lot of things:
>
> 1) As per the instructions from help GStreamer, I installed GStreamer from here: "GStreamer-WinBuilds-GPL-x86-Beta04-0.10.7.msi"
> and renamed E:\Octave\3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0\bin\iconv.dll to iconv_DISABLED.dll (I installed Octave under E:/ instead of C:/, and psychtoolbox under E:/toolbox, I wonder if that was a mistake)
>
> 2) Installed microsoft visual c++ 2005 redistributable vcredit_x86.exe
>
> 3) Running SetupPsychtoolbox again.
>
> It seems from forum posts that Octave+Windows is not a recommended combo to run Psychtoolbox...but its all I have for now. The reason for a legacy version of psychtoolbox is due to an error message when first trying to run the installer (with Octave on Windows, it has to run on Octave 3.2.4 and psychtoolbox 3.0.9). I am a Octave/Matlab novice so there might be something very fundamental that I overlooked, I wonder if anyone can shed some light on how to get Screen running.
>
> Thank you very much for your help, below is the message after running setuppsychtoolbox.
>
> Amy
>
> -------
> This is the following that appeared after running SetupPsychtoolbox:
>
> Octave major version 3 detected. Will prepend the following folder to your Octave path:
> E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\PsychBasic\Octave3WindowsFiles ...
>
>
>
> A very simple test call to the Screen() MEX file failed in AssertOpenGL, indicating
> that either Screen is totally dysfunctional, or you are trying to run your script on
> a system without Psychtoolbox-3 properly installed - or not installed at all.
>
> The most likely cause, based on the fact you are running on Octave under Windows
> and given this error message: could not find library or dependents: E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\PsychBasic\Octave3WindowsFiles\Screen.mex
> is that the required GStreamer runtime libraries are not yet installed on your system.
>
> Please type 'help GStreamer' and read the installation instructions carefully.
>
> If this has been ruled out as a reason for failure, the following could be the case:
>
> This script or function is designated to run only an Psychtoolbox based on OpenGL. Read "help AssertOpenGL" for more info.
>
> A first more diagnostic test would be to simply type Screen in your Matlab/Octave console and check what its output is.
>
>
>
> The returned error message by Matlab/Octave was:
> Last Error: could not find library or dependents: E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\PsychBasic\Octave3WindowsFiles\Screen.mex ()
> <a href="matlab:opentoline('E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\PsychOneliners\AssertOpenGL.m',91)">E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\PsychOneliners\AssertOpenGL.m,91</a>
> <a href="matlab:opentoline('E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\PsychtoolboxPostInstallRoutine.m',602)">E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\PsychtoolboxPostInstallRoutine.m,602</a>
> <a href="matlab:opentoline('E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\SetupPsychtoolbox.m',223)">E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\SetupPsychtoolbox.m,223</a>
>
>
>
> Screen() or online registration failed to work under MS-Windows with GNU/Octave-3:
>
> Probably the required GStreamer multimedia framework is not yet installed on your system.
>
> Please type 'help GStreamer' and follow the displayed installation instructions carefully.
>
> If this has been ruled out as a reason for failure, check the troubleshooting instructions on
> our Wiki (Download section and FAQ section, maybe also the Bugs section).
>
>
> -----------
> But I have installed GStreamer!
>

Dear Mario,

After a lot of head scratching, I decided to install psychtoolbox 3.0.10 on another Win7 computer which had MATLAB R2012b, and it's running well now.

Thank you so much for your dualboot Linux suggestion and links---This might be the way to go if I want it to work on my MATLAB-less laptop.

Cheers,
Amy

--- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "Mario" <mario.kleiner@...> wrote:
>
>
>
> Hi Amy,
>
> indeed, PTB 3.0.9 is no longer supported in any way, neither is Octave on Windows. The acceptance was just too disappointingly low, in relationship to the significant maintenance overhead for Octave on Windows. It only got about 100 installations after multiple years of availability. The test system i used for maintaining and testing it doesn't even exist anymore.
>
> As such you are mostly on your own. If you are on Windows i'd recommend installing Linux on it. This link
>
> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/install-ubuntu-with-windows
>
> leads to the WUBI installer, which makes it easy and safe to install a Ubuntu 12.04 system inside a Windows system and then dual-boot between Windows-7 and Ubuntu Linux. Within Ubuntu Linux, NeuroDebian provides a convenient and up to date Psychtoolbox for octave or matlab:
>
> http://neuro.debian.net/pkgs/octave-psychtoolbox-3.html#pkg-octave-psychtoolbox-3
>
> Other than that, it would be nice if somebody who successfully installed octave for Windows would help Amy. A few people did after we officially cancelled it, so it must be still possible.
>
> Below are my remaining notes on octave + Windows in case that helps, but they are not neccessarily complete. It might be neccessary to also install Apple's Quicktime for Windows, even if you don't use it, to get the QTMLClient.dll from that runtime package. I remember that when a mex file failed to load, as in your case, a Windows warning dialog box popped up, which told you what library (DLL) was actually missing and caused the load failure? That would be the best hint on what is missing.
>
> Btw. your installation on a different drive than C: probably doesn't matter.
>
> Good luck if you take this route,
> -mario
>
> ---- Notes ----
>
> The .lib files and .dll files in this folder must be copied into:
>
> C:\Octave\3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0\mingw32\lib\ with 3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0 replaced by current Octave version.
>
>
> For properly working Datapixx.mex (Until recompile by Peter)
> Additionally, one must create a copy of...
>
> C:\Octave\3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0\bin\libgcc_s_whateverthenameis.dll as
>
> ...as...
>
> C:\Octave\3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0\bin\libgcc_tdm_dw_2_1.dll
>
>
> Additionally for Screen.mex one must delete (or rename)...
>
> C:\Octave\3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0\bin\iconv.dll
>
> ... so the iconv.dll from GStreamer is used instead.
>
> For PsychHID, one must copy libusb-1.0.dll (Octave version) to
>
> C:\Octave\3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0\bin\
>
> or alternatively copy it into the C:\Windows\system32\ folder.
>
>
>
> --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "aclee224" <aclee224@> wrote:
> >
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I have installed psychtoolbox 3.0.9 (SVN revision 2596) in conjunction with Octave 3.2.4 gcc-4.4.0 on a Win7 Pro 64-bit system. My problem is this error message after trying to run Screen:
> >
> > error: could not find library or dependents: E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\PsychBasic\Octave3WindowsFiles\Screen.mex
> >
> > This error message persists after doing a lot of things:
> >
> > 1) As per the instructions from help GStreamer, I installed GStreamer from here: "GStreamer-WinBuilds-GPL-x86-Beta04-0.10.7.msi"
> > and renamed E:\Octave\3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0\bin\iconv.dll to iconv_DISABLED.dll (I installed Octave under E:/ instead of C:/, and psychtoolbox under E:/toolbox, I wonder if that was a mistake)
> >
> > 2) Installed microsoft visual c++ 2005 redistributable vcredit_x86.exe
> >
> > 3) Running SetupPsychtoolbox again.
> >
> > It seems from forum posts that Octave+Windows is not a recommended combo to run Psychtoolbox...but its all I have for now. The reason for a legacy version of psychtoolbox is due to an error message when first trying to run the installer (with Octave on Windows, it has to run on Octave 3.2.4 and psychtoolbox 3.0.9). I am a Octave/Matlab novice so there might be something very fundamental that I overlooked, I wonder if anyone can shed some light on how to get Screen running.
> >
> > Thank you very much for your help, below is the message after running setuppsychtoolbox.
> >
> > Amy
> >
> > -------
> > This is the following that appeared after running SetupPsychtoolbox:
> >
> > warning: savepath: current path saved to ~\.octaverc
> > Octave major version 3 detected. Will prepend the following folder to your Octave path:
> > E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\PsychBasic\Octave3WindowsFiles ...
> > warning: savepath: current path saved to ~\.octaverc
> >
> >
> >
> > A very simple test call to the Screen() MEX file failed in AssertOpenGL, indicating
> > that either Screen is totally dysfunctional, or you are trying to run your script on
> > a system without Psychtoolbox-3 properly installed - or not installed at all.
> >
> > The most likely cause, based on the fact you are running on Octave under Windows
> > and given this error message: could not find library or dependents: E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\PsychBasic\Octave3WindowsFiles\Screen.mex
> > is that the required GStreamer runtime libraries are not yet installed on your system.
> >
> > Please type 'help GStreamer' and read the installation instructions carefully.
> > After this one-time setup, the Screen command should work properly.
> >
> > If this has been ruled out as a reason for failure, the following could be the case:
> >
> > This script or function is designated to run only an Psychtoolbox based on OpenGL. Read "help AssertOpenGL" for more info.
> >
> > A first more diagnostic test would be to simply type Screen in your Matlab/Octave console and check what its output is.
> >
> >
> >
> > The returned error message by Matlab/Octave was:
> > Last Error: could not find library or dependents: E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\PsychBasic\Octave3WindowsFiles\Screen.mex ()
> > <a href="matlab:opentoline('E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\PsychOneliners\AssertOpenGL.m',91)">E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\PsychOneliners\AssertOpenGL.m,91</a>
> > <a href="matlab:opentoline('E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\PsychtoolboxPostInstallRoutine.m',602)">E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\PsychtoolboxPostInstallRoutine.m,602</a>
> > <a href="matlab:opentoline('E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\SetupPsychtoolbox.m',223)">E:\toolbox\PSYCHT~1\SetupPsychtoolbox.m,223</a>
> >
> >
> >
> > Screen() or online registration failed to work under MS-Windows with GNU/Octave-3:
> >
> > Probably the required GStreamer multimedia framework is not yet installed on your system.
> >
> > Please type 'help GStreamer' and follow the displayed installation instructions carefully.
> > After this one-time setup, the Screen command should work properly.
> >
> > If this has been ruled out as a reason for failure, check the troubleshooting instructions on
> > our Wiki (Download section and FAQ section, maybe also the Bugs section).
> >
> >
> > -----------
> > But I have installed GStreamer!
> >
>