special characters in DrawFormattedText

hi,
i'm having problems displaying special characters with drawtext. If I assign a string (a='merçi') they don't display right when using the function DrawFormattedText. Text read in from a file displays fine. why would this be?
thanks,
hal.
Hi Hal,
You're not giving us enough information to help you. Which matlab, which OS? Did you read the help on the relevant functions?
Also, make sure your PTB is fully up to date by running UpdatePsychToolbox. See this excerpt from the beta announcement a few days ago:
"Good support for international character set handling, Unicode and
Multibyte/UTF-8 text encoding and other non-ASCII scripts on all operating system platforms.
Read "help DrawTextEncodingLocaleSettings" for further details, as well as the updated help of Screen TextBounds? and Screen DrawText?
* High-Quality text rendering support with anti-aliasing and Unicode drawing
on GNU/Linux via use of dynamically loaded FTGL text rendering plugin.
Should work out of the box. For interesting options and troubleshooting if it doesn't, read "help DrawTextPlugin"."
Best,
Dee

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 4:49 AM, hal.croves <hal.croves@...> wrote:

hi,
i'm having problems displaying special characters with drawtext. If I assign a string (a='merçi') they don't display right when using the function DrawFormattedText. Text read in from a file displays fine. why would this be?
thanks,
hal.