64-bit Ubuntu, Octave, Eyelink installation

I am trying to get the Eyelink toolbox working under:

Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit
Octave 3.2.4
PTB 3.0.9

I installed the 64-bit Linux display package as per: https://www.sr-support.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16.  As far as I can tell everything installed OK.

But that's as far as I can get.  When I try any Eyelink command, nothing happens. The demos give errors.  The Eyelink m-file has a comment, but is otherwise blank. Same for contents.m.

Is Eyelink supported on 64-bit Ubuntu running Octave?

I must be missing something obvious.

----------------

Before I go to far down this path...

What I am trying to do is to run eye-tracking experiments in PTB on a current Windows machine under Octave, but, after much trying, I was not able to install either PTB or the Eyelink toolbox.  Thus, I am hoping to run PTB and the Eyelink toolbox in Linux on a virtual machine in Windows. Has anyone successfully done this?  To be clear, the server (Eyelink machine) will be running Windows and I'm hoping to run Linux or a VM Linux on the experimental machine.

Hi Andrew,
Not that I have experience with it, but running Linux inside a VM on windows is likely to kill all hopes of reliable timing. It might be better to focus on why you can't get PTB working with octave on windows, or create a dualboot with Linux on that computer so that you're not running Linux inside a VM.
For the first, are you downloading the 32-bit Octave version 3.2.4? That the only supported version on windows for as far as I'm aware. You'll also have to install Gstreamer, and see this message http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/psychtoolbox/message/10850. (the part about renaming the dll in the octave directory--though I'm not sure thats still needed with the current build).
Did you try anything else or could you give us more info about the installation failing?
Best,
Dee

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 04:37, Andrew Cohen <acohen@...> wrote:

I am trying to get the Eyelink toolbox working under:

Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit
Octave 3.2.4
PTB 3.0.9

I installed the 64-bit Linux display package as per: https://www.sr-support.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16. As far as I can tell everything installed OK.

But that's as far as I can get. When I try any Eyelink command, nothing happens. The demos give errors. The Eyelink m-file has a comment, but is otherwise blank. Same for contents.m.

Is Eyelink supported on 64-bit Ubuntu running Octave?

I must be missing something obvious.

----------------

Before I go to far down this path...

What I am trying to do is to run eye-tracking experiments in PTB on a current Windows machine under Octave, but, after much trying, I was not able to install either PTB or the Eyelink toolbox. Thus, I am hoping to run PTB and the Eyelink toolbox in Linux on a virtual machine in Windows. Has anyone successfully done this? To be clear, the server (Eyelink machine) will be running Windows and I'm hoping to run Linux or a VM Linux on the experimental machine.

What you didn't mention is that you use the ptb from NeuroDebian.

UpdatePsychtoolbox doesn't work with that, as updates are automatically announced by your system when they become available.

Also, that ptb is still an early pre-release prototype of the 3.0.9 ptb from around March this year, incomplete, buggy and not recommended for research use, only for testers, just as the warning message on the NeuroDebian web page tells you.

Eyelink won't work with that yet, neither does Matlab afaik.

Using DownloadPsychtoolbox to install your own ptb from us in your own directory should work. If not, you'd have to uninstall the neurodebian ptb.

best,
-mario

--- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "dralcohen" <dralcohen@...> wrote:
>
> Still no luck.
>
> I tried a fresh install on a nearly identical machine. Again, as far as I can tell, everything installed except:
>
> Octave3LinuxFiles
> Octave3OSXFiles
> Octave3WindowsFiles
>
> I must be doing something wrong at a basic level.
>
> An output of an attempted updated is provided below.
>
> The SR libraries seem to have installed fine.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> -----------------------------
>
> octave:1> UpdatePsychtoolbox()
> Skipped '/usr/share/octave/site/m/psychtoolbox-3'
> UpdatePsychtoolbox(' /usr/share/octave/site/m/psychtoolbox-3 ')
>
> About to update your working copy of the OpenGL-based Psychtoolbox.
> Will execute the following update command:
> svn update "/usr/share/octave/site/m/psychtoolbox-3"
> Success!
>
> CHANGES:
> For reason, see output above.
> CHANGE -- MEANING
> U or G <filename> -- File <filename> was modified/updated.
> A <filename> -- New file <filename> was added.
> D <filename> -- File <filename> was removed.
> C <filename> -- File <filename> is in conflict with local changes!
> "C" indicates that something went wrong. Please check manually.
> A conflict happens if you manually modified files in the Psychtoolbox folder in
> a way that conflicts with the new file from the update and if that conflict can
> not get automatically resolved.
> If you can not resolve such a conflict, the simplest solution is to manually
> delete the file or subfolder for which a conflict is reported, and then run
> UpdatePsychtoolbox again. It will download and add the proper missing files.
> If everything else fails, simply delete the whole Psychtoolbox folder and use
> DownloadPsychtoolbox again for a full, clean download.
>
> Your MATLAB/OCTAVE path has been updated. Now trying to save the new MATLAB/OCTAVE path...
>
> warning: savepath: current path saved to ~/.octaverc
> Fully done. Your new Psychtoolbox folder is ready to use. Enjoy!
>
>
>
> Running post-install routine...
>
> warning: no defaults for function `fzero'
> warning: rmpath: /usr/share/octave/site/m/psychtoolbox-3/PsychBasic/Octave3LinuxFiles: not found
> warning: rmpath: /usr/share/octave/site/m/psychtoolbox-3/PsychBasic/Octave3OSXFiles: not found
> warning: rmpath: /usr/share/octave/site/m/psychtoolbox-3/PsychBasic/Octave3WindowsFiles: not found
> Octave major version 3 detected. Will prepend the following folder to your Octave path:
> /usr/share/octave/site/m/psychtoolbox-3/PsychBasic/Octave3LinuxFiles ...
> warning: addpath: /usr/share/octave/site/m/psychtoolbox-3/PsychBasic/Octave3LinuxFiles: No such file or directory
> warning: no defaults for function `fzero'
>
Success (maybe)!

I haven't tried it out yet, but it looks like everything is installed. The Octave3LinuxFiles folder exists, at least, including the Eyelink.mex file.

I'll test it out tomorrow, but I'm crossing my fingers that it works out.

For anyone else who is as clueless as I am, for now, follow the 'old school' instructions here: http://psychtoolbox.org/wikka.php?wakka=PsychtoolboxDownloadLinux.

Thank you so much for your help.

Andrew

PS When I update, I get the following warnings:

warning: rmpath: .../Psychtoolbox/PsychBasic/Octave3OSXFiles: not found
warning: rmpath: .../Psychtoolbox/PsychBasic/Octave3LinuxFiles: not found
warning: rmpath: .../Psychtoolbox/PsychBasic/Octave3WindowsFiles: not found

Those directories do exist. Is this because I'm on a 64-bit machine?