Alarming error when trying to open on-screen window in MATLAB R2019b on Mac?

I have a fresh install of MATLAB R2019b and PTB on a crappy 2017 MacBook Air. MATLAB R2015b+PTB have always worked fine on this computer, at least for development and testing. With 2019b + the new install of PTB, I get the error below on trying to open an on-screen window.

Sometimes I get a recursion limit reached error instead--it says "probably a Psychtoolbox bug". I can provide that one too if helpful.

Any ideas? Thanks!

p.s. Not sure if it matters but before installing PTB with R2019b I moved the existing installation of PTB (the one I had been using with R2015b) out of the Applications folder and off the path, the idea being to start with a fresh slate.

try

n=Screen('OpenWindow', 0);

FillRect(n, [1 0 0])

Screen('Flip', n')

WaitSecs(3)

sca

catch

sca

end

PTB-INFO: This is Psychtoolbox-3 for Apple OS X, under Matlab 64-Bit (Version 3.0.16 - Build date: Aug  5 2019).

PTB-INFO: OS support status: OSX version 10.14 is not officially supported or tested at all for this release.

PTB-INFO: Type 'PsychtoolboxVersion' for more detailed version information.

PTB-INFO: Most parts of the Psychtoolbox distribution are licensed to you under terms of the MIT License, with

PTB-INFO: some restrictions. See file 'License.txt' in the Psychtoolbox root folder for the exact licensing conditions.

INTERNAL PSYCHTOOLBOX ERROR

error:                PsychError_InvalidWindowRecord

general description:  An Invalid window record was referenced.

module name:          Screen

subfunction call:     WindowKind

file name:            /Users/kleinerm/projects/OpenGLPsychtoolbox/Psychtoolbox-3/PsychSourceGL/Source/Common/Screen/WindowHelpers.c

function name:        PsychCheckIfWindowRecordIsValid

line number:          61

Error using Screen

See error message printed above.

Error in sca (line 22)

if Screen('WindowKind', win) == 1

Same question asked about two forum messages earlier. It's yet another Apple screwup, because they just can't build operating systems that deserve that name, affecting R2019b on macOS 10.14/10.15 for which the next PTB update will have a workaround.

Out of interestest, you are a registered user of the forum, right? My suspicion is that the current silence on the forum is due to nobody without a registered forum user account being able to post anything anymore.

-mario

On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 8:31 AM hollandgh@... [PSYCHTOOLBOX] <PSYCHTOOLBOX@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

I have a fresh install of MATLAB R2019b and PTB on a crappy 2017 MacBook Air. MATLAB R2015b+PTB have always worked fine on this computer, at least for development and testing. With 2019b + the new install of PTB, I get the error below on trying to open an on-screen window.

Sometimes I get a recursion limit reached error instead--it says "probably a Psychtoolbox bug". I can provide that one too if helpful.

Any ideas? Thanks!

p.s. Not sure if it matters but before installing PTB with R2019b I moved the existing installation of PTB (the one I had been using with R2015b) out of the Applications folder and off the path, the idea being to start with a fresh slate.

try

n=Screen('OpenWindow', 0);

FillRect(n, [1 0 0])

Screen('Flip', n')

WaitSecs(3)

sca

catch

sca

end

PTB-INFO: This is Psychtoolbox-3 for Apple OS X, under Matlab 64-Bit (Version 3.0.16 - Build date: Aug 5 2019).

PTB-INFO: OS support status: OSX version 10.14 is not officially supported or tested at all for this release.

PTB-INFO: Type 'PsychtoolboxVersion' for more detailed version information.

PTB-INFO: Most parts of the Psychtoolbox distribution are licensed to you under terms of the MIT License, with

PTB-INFO: some restrictions. See file 'License.txt' in the Psychtoolbox root folder for the exact licensing conditions.

INTERNAL PSYCHTOOLBOX ERROR

error: PsychError_InvalidWindowRecord

general description: An Invalid window record was referenced.

module name: Screen

subfunction call: WindowKind

file name: /Users/kleinerm/projects/OpenGLPsychtoolbox/Psychtoolbox-3/PsychSourceGL/Source/Common/Screen/WindowHelpers.c

function name: PsychCheckIfWindowRecordIsValid

line number: 61

Error using Screen

See error message printed above.

Error in sca (line 22)

if Screen('WindowKind', win) == 1