PTB error in Mac OSX

Hi,
Whenever a PTB windown is opened (e.g., run DotDemo or DriftDemo), the screen goes black and the demo won't proceed.The cursor can be seen and moved but there is no way to switch back to other programs or matlab command window. Typing 'Close All' or 'Screen('CloseAll') does not work. The only way to regain control is to force a restart using the power key. Auditory demos run well.

My system (64 bit):
Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5
2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
5 GB memory

Matlab: R2010a

Psychtoolbox:3.0.10; recently donwloaded and updated.No error in the process of downloading or updating.

Does anyone have similar experiences or have an idea of how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Yu-Xuan
Hi Yu-Xuan,

--- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "zhyuxuan2000" wrote:
>
> Hi,
> Whenever a PTB windown is opened (e.g., run DotDemo or DriftDemo), the screen goes black and the demo won't proceed.The cursor can be seen and moved but there is no way to switch back to other programs or matlab command window. Typing 'Close All' or 'Screen('CloseAll') does not work. The only way to regain control is to force a restart using the power key. Auditory demos run well.
>
> My system (64 bit):
> Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5
> 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
> Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
> 5 GB memory
>
> Matlab: R2010a
>
> Psychtoolbox:3.0.10; recently donwloaded and updated.No error in the process of downloading or updating.
>
> Does anyone have similar experiences or have an idea of how to fix it?

I don't experience this problem, using the same Matlab (R2010a 64 bit) and most recent psychtoolbox version, on Mac OS 10.8.2 (MacBook Pro 2.8Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 G RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 Mo), irrespective of the loading of the custom PsychtoolboxKernelDriver. I also tested it using octave (3.6.2, obtained via Homebrew), and PsychtoolboxKernelDriver. No problem either.

Sorry to not help more
Best,

Matthieu
does the Psychtoolbox splash screen appear before the screen goes black, or does it go straight to black?

also, is your machine a Mac Mini or a MacBook Pro?

another handy shortcut is Shift+Option+Command+Escape. if you hold that combination down for a few seconds, it quits the active/frontmost application. this sometimes works when you can't even get to the Force Quit Applications dialog using the Option+Command+Escape combo...

however generally it is more useful to get back to the MATLAB command window so you can see any error output or do debugging.

there are some more tips here:

http://psychtoolbox.org/FaqHowDoIExitScreen

--- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, Dagmar Fraser wrote:
>
>
> Try ALT + CMD + ESC - should enable you to select and force quit any application.
>
>
> On 18 Jan 2013, at 12:48, Matthieu Dubois wrote:
>
>
>
> Hi Yu-Xuan,
>
> --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com , "zhyuxuan2000" wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > Whenever a PTB windown is opened (e.g., run DotDemo or DriftDemo), the screen goes black and the demo won't proceed.The cursor can be seen and moved but there is no way to switch back to other programs or matlab command window. Typing 'Close All' or 'Screen('CloseAll') does not work. The only way to regain control is to force a restart using the power key. Auditory demos run well.
> >
> > My system (64 bit):
> > Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5
> > 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
> > Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
> > 5 GB memory
> >
> > Matlab: R2010a
> >
> > Psychtoolbox:3.0.10; recently donwloaded and updated.No error in the process of downloading or updating.
> >
> > Does anyone have similar experiences or have an idea of how to fix it?
>
> I don't experience this problem, using the same Matlab (R2010a 64 bit) and most recent psychtoolbox version, on Mac OS 10.8.2 (MacBook Pro 2.8Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 G RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 Mo), irrespective of the loading of the custom PsychtoolboxKernelDriver. I also tested it using octave (3.6.2, obtained via Homebrew), and PsychtoolboxKernelDriver. No problem either.
>
> Sorry to not help more
> Best,
>
> Matthieu
>
Thank elladawu and Dagmar. The shortcut keys work. Now I can quit matlab from the keyboard. However, the problem remains.

My computer is a Macbook pro.
The window goes black whenever the function Screen ('OpenWindow') is called. But some other Screen functions that can be called without an open window are fine, such as Screen('Screens');

AssertOpenGL and IntializePsychSound go well. There is no Psychtoolbox splash screen before it goes black.

Any clues/ideas as how to go ahead?

Yuxuan

--- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "elladawu" wrote:
>
> does the Psychtoolbox splash screen appear before the screen goes black, or does it go straight to black?
>
> also, is your machine a Mac Mini or a MacBook Pro?
>
> another handy shortcut is Shift+Option+Command+Escape. if you hold that combination down for a few seconds, it quits the active/frontmost application. this sometimes works when you can't even get to the Force Quit Applications dialog using the Option+Command+Escape combo...
>
> however generally it is more useful to get back to the MATLAB command window so you can see any error output or do debugging.
>
> there are some more tips here:
>
> http://psychtoolbox.org/FaqHowDoIExitScreen
>
>
>
>
> --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, Dagmar Fraser wrote:
> >
> >
> > Try ALT + CMD + ESC - should enable you to select and force quit any application.
> >
> >
> > On 18 Jan 2013, at 12:48, Matthieu Dubois wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> > Hi Yu-Xuan,
> >
> > --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com , "zhyuxuan2000" wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > > Whenever a PTB windown is opened (e.g., run DotDemo or DriftDemo), the screen goes black and the demo won't proceed.The cursor can be seen and moved but there is no way to switch back to other programs or matlab command window. Typing 'Close All' or 'Screen('CloseAll') does not work. The only way to regain control is to force a restart using the power key. Auditory demos run well.
> > >
> > > My system (64 bit):
> > > Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5
> > > 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
> > > Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
> > > 5 GB memory
> > >
> > > Matlab: R2010a
> > >
> > > Psychtoolbox:3.0.10; recently donwloaded and updated.No error in the process of downloading or updating.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have similar experiences or have an idea of how to fix it?
> >
> > I don't experience this problem, using the same Matlab (R2010a 64 bit) and most recent psychtoolbox version, on Mac OS 10.8.2 (MacBook Pro 2.8Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 G RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 Mo), irrespective of the loading of the custom PsychtoolboxKernelDriver. I also tested it using octave (3.6.2, obtained via Homebrew), and PsychtoolboxKernelDriver. No problem either.
> >
> > Sorry to not help more
> > Best,
> >
> > Matthieu
> >
>
Is there no output on the matlab command window? Run it with verbosity at 10 or something high like that and see what output you get. It probably gets stuck somewhere somehow. Even if no errors occur, the output will be helpful to see where things stop
Best,
Dee

On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 3:11 PM, zhyuxuan2000 <zhyuxuan2000@...> wrote:

Thank elladawu and Dagmar. The shortcut keys work. Now I can quit matlab from the keyboard. However, the problem remains.

My computer is a Macbook pro.
The window goes black whenever the function Screen ('OpenWindow') is called. But some other Screen functions that can be called without an open window are fine, such as Screen('Screens');

AssertOpenGL and IntializePsychSound go well. There is no Psychtoolbox splash screen before it goes black.

Any clues/ideas as how to go ahead?

Yuxuan

>
> does the Psychtoolbox splash screen appear before the screen goes black, or does it go straight to black?
>
> also, is your machine a Mac Mini or a MacBook Pro?
>
> another handy shortcut is Shift+Option+Command+Escape. if you hold that combination down for a few seconds, it quits the active/frontmost application. this sometimes works when you can't even get to the Force Quit Applications dialog using the Option+Command+Escape combo...
>
> however generally it is more useful to get back to the MATLAB command window so you can see any error output or do debugging.
>
> there are some more tips here:
>
> http://psychtoolbox.org/FaqHowDoIExitScreen
>
>
>
>
> --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, Dagmar Fraser wrote:
> >
> >
> > Try ALT + CMD + ESC - should enable you to select and force quit any application.
> >
> >
> > On 18 Jan 2013, at 12:48, Matthieu Dubois wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> > Hi Yu-Xuan,
> >
> > --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com , "zhyuxuan2000" wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > > Whenever a PTB windown is opened (e.g., run DotDemo or DriftDemo), the screen goes black and the demo won't proceed.The cursor can be seen and moved but there is no way to switch back to other programs or matlab command window. Typing 'Close All' or 'Screen('CloseAll') does not work. The only way to regain control is to force a restart using the power key. Auditory demos run well.
> > >
> > > 5 GB memory
> > >
> > >
> > > Psychtoolbox:3.0.10; recently donwloaded and updated.No error in the process of downloading or updating.
> > >
> >
> > I don't experience this problem, using the same Matlab (R2010a 64 bit) and most recent psychtoolbox version, on Mac OS 10.8.2 (MacBook Pro 2.8Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 G RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 Mo), irrespective of the loading of the custom PsychtoolboxKernelDriver. I also tested it using octave (3.6.2, obtained via Homebrew), and PsychtoolboxKernelDriver. No problem either.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Matthieu
> >
>

I run the following code:

diary tryRecord.txt
AssertOpenGL;
old_Verbosity=Screen('Preference', 'Verbosity', 10);
old_VisualDebuglevel=Screen('Preference', 'VisualDebuglevel', 1);
w=Screen('OpenWindow',0);
diary off

And get the following record from the diary

old_Verbosity =

PTB-DEBUG: PsychGetScreenDepths(): mode 0 : w x h = 1280 x 800, fps = 0, depths = 32
PTB-DEBUG: PsychGetScreenDepths(): mode 1 : w x h = 1152 x 720, fps = 0, depths = 32
PTB-DEBUG: PsychGetScreenDepths(): mode 2 : w x h = 1024 x 768, fps = 0, depths = 32
PTB-DEBUG: PsychGetScreenDepths(): mode 3 : w x h = 1024 x 768, fps = 0, depths = 32
PTB-DEBUG: PsychGetScreenDepths(): mode 4 : w x h = 1024 x 640, fps = 0, depths = 32
PTB-DEBUG: PsychGetScreenDepths(): mode 5 : w x h = 800 x 600, fps = 0, depths = 32
PTB-DEBUG: PsychGetScreenDepths(): mode 6 : w x h = 800 x 600, fps = 0, depths = 32
PTB-DEBUG: PsychGetScreenDepths(): mode 7 : w x h = 800 x 500, fps = 0, depths = 32
PTB-DEBUG: PsychGetScreenDepths(): mode 8 : w x h = 640 x 480, fps = 0, depths = 32
PTB-DEBUG: PsychGetScreenDepths(): mode 9 : w x h = 640 x 480, fps = 0, depths = 32
PTB-DEBUG: PsychGetScreenDepths(): mode 10 : w x h = 720 x 480, fps = 0, depths = 32
PTB-DEBUG: PsychGetScreenDepths(): mode 11 : w x h = 720 x 480, fps = 0, depths = 32
PTB-DEBUG: In PsychCaptureScreen(): After display capture for screen 0 (Old CGDisplayId 0x42730c0). Reenumerating all displays...
PTB-DEBUG: In PsychCaptureScreen(): After display capture for screen 0 (New CGDisplayId 0x42730c0). Reenumeration done.
PTB-WARNING: In font initialization: Failed to convert fontFMName CF string to char string. Defective font?!? Skipped this entry...
PTB-WARNING: In font initialization: Failed to retrieve font family name for font... Defective font?!? Skipped this entry...
PTB-WARNING: In font initialization: Failed to retrieve font family name for font... Defective font?!? Skipped this entry...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Segmentation violation detected at Sun Jan 20 17:51:22 2013
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Configuration:
MATLAB Version: 7.10.0.499 (R2010a)
MATLAB License: 161051
Operating System: Darwin 11.4.2 Darwin Kernel Version 11.4.2: Thu Aug 23 16:25:48 PDT 2012; root:xnu-1699.32.7~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
Window System: The X.Org Foundation (11006000), display /tmp/launch-c8gnAU/org.x:0
Current Visual: 0x22 (class 4, depth 24)
Processor ID: x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 7, GenuineIntel
Virtual Machine: Java 1.6.0_37-b06-434-11M3909 with Apple Inc. Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM mixed mode
Default Encoding: ISO-8859-1

Fault Count: 1

Register State:
rax = 00000000 rbx = 00000600
rcx = 00000600 rdx = 000000ff
rsi = 295e9610 rdi = 00000000
rbp = 11fd11c0 rsp = 11fd1160
r8 = 00000804 r9 = 11fd104c
r10 = 90040100 r11 = 11fd1060
r12 = 295e9610 r13 = 00000000
r14 = 295e9610 r15 = 00000000
rip = 8fe3d16c flg = 00010246
cs = 0000002b fs = 00000000
gs = 00000000

Stack Trace:
[0] CoreFoundation:CFStringGetCString~ + 44 bytes
[1] Screen.mexmaci64:PsychGetFontListHead~ + 465 bytes
[2] Screen.mexmaci64:PsychGetFontRecordFromFontFamilyNameAndFontStyle~ + 34 bytes
[3] Screen.mexmaci64:PsychInitTextRecordSettings~ + 102 bytes
[4] Screen.mexmaci64:PsychCreateWindowRecord~ + 415 bytes
[5] Screen.mexmaci64:PsychOpenOnscreenWindow~ + 221 bytes
[6] Screen.mexmaci64:SCREENOpenWindow~ + 1386 bytes
[7] Screen.mexmaci64:mexFunction~ + 502 bytes
[8] libmex.dylib:mexRunMexFile + 90 bytes
[9] libmex.dylib:Mfh_mex::runMexFileWithSignalProtection(int, mxArray_tag**, int, mxArray_tag**) + 137 bytes
[10] libmex.dylib:Mfh_mex::dispatch_file(int, mxArray_tag**, int, mxArray_tag**) + 276 bytes
[11] libmwm_dispatcher.dylib:Mfh_file::dispatch_fh(int, mxArray_tag**, int, mxArray_tag**) + 321 bytes
[12] libmwm_interpreter.dylib:inDispatchFromStack(int, char const*, int, int) + 1030 bytes
[13] libmwm_interpreter.dylib:inDispatchCall(char const*, int, long, int, int*, int*) + 166 bytes

--- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "Diederick C. Niehorster" wrote:
>
> Is there no output on the matlab command window? Run it with verbosity at
> 10 or something high like that and see what output you get. It probably
> gets stuck somewhere somehow. Even if no errors occur, the output will be
> helpful to see where things stop
>
> Best,
> Dee
>
> On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 3:11 PM, zhyuxuan2000 wrote:
>
> > **
> >
> >
> > Thank elladawu and Dagmar. The shortcut keys work. Now I can quit matlab
> > from the keyboard. However, the problem remains.
> >
> > My computer is a Macbook pro.
> > The window goes black whenever the function Screen ('OpenWindow') is
> > called. But some other Screen functions that can be called without an open
> > window are fine, such as Screen('Screens');
> >
> > AssertOpenGL and IntializePsychSound go well. There is no Psychtoolbox
> > splash screen before it goes black.
> >
> > Any clues/ideas as how to go ahead?
> >
> > Yuxuan
> >
> >
> > --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "elladawu" wrote:
> > >
> > > does the Psychtoolbox splash screen appear before the screen goes black,
> > or does it go straight to black?
> > >
> > > also, is your machine a Mac Mini or a MacBook Pro?
> > >
> > > another handy shortcut is Shift+Option+Command+Escape. if you hold that
> > combination down for a few seconds, it quits the active/frontmost
> > application. this sometimes works when you can't even get to the Force Quit
> > Applications dialog using the Option+Command+Escape combo...
> > >
> > > however generally it is more useful to get back to the MATLAB command
> > window so you can see any error output or do debugging.
> > >
> > > there are some more tips here:
> > >
> > > http://psychtoolbox.org/FaqHowDoIExitScreen
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, Dagmar Fraser wrote:
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Try ALT + CMD + ESC - should enable you to select and force quit any
> > application.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > On 18 Jan 2013, at 12:48, Matthieu Dubois wrote:
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Hi Yu-Xuan,
> > > >
> > > > --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com , "zhyuxuan2000" wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > Hi,
> > > > > Whenever a PTB windown is opened (e.g., run DotDemo or DriftDemo),
> > the screen goes black and the demo won't proceed.The cursor can be seen and
> > moved but there is no way to switch back to other programs or matlab
> > command window. Typing 'Close All' or 'Screen('CloseAll') does not work.
> > The only way to regain control is to force a restart using the power key.
> > Auditory demos run well.
> > > > >
> > > > > My system (64 bit):
> > > > > Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5
> > > > > 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
> > > > > Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
> > > > > 5 GB memory
> > > > >
> > > > > Matlab: R2010a
> > > > >
> > > > > Psychtoolbox:3.0.10; recently donwloaded and updated.No error in the
> > process of downloading or updating.
> > > > >
> > > > > Does anyone have similar experiences or have an idea of how to fix
> > it?
> > > >
> > > > I don't experience this problem, using the same Matlab (R2010a 64 bit)
> > and most recent psychtoolbox version, on Mac OS 10.8.2 (MacBook Pro 2.8Ghz
> > Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 G RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 Mo), irrespective of
> > the loading of the custom PsychtoolboxKernelDriver. I also tested it using
> > octave (3.6.2, obtained via Homebrew), and PsychtoolboxKernelDriver. No
> > problem either.
> > > >
> > > > Sorry to not help more
> > > > Best,
> > > >
> > > > Matthieu
> > > >
> > >
> >
> >
> >
>
Hi, Matthieu,

I also got no problem when trying my code on a 64 bit Macbook pro retina, Mountain Lion 10.8.X.

I am thinking of upgrading my operation system to 10.8 if finding no other way out. Do you think it sensible?

Yuxuan

--- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "Matthieu Dubois" wrote:
>
> Hi Yu-Xuan,
>
>
> --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "zhyuxuan2000" wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > Whenever a PTB windown is opened (e.g., run DotDemo or DriftDemo), the screen goes black and the demo won't proceed.The cursor can be seen and moved but there is no way to switch back to other programs or matlab command window. Typing 'Close All' or 'Screen('CloseAll') does not work. The only way to regain control is to force a restart using the power key. Auditory demos run well.
> >
> > My system (64 bit):
> > Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5
> > 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
> > Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
> > 5 GB memory
> >
> > Matlab: R2010a
> >
> > Psychtoolbox:3.0.10; recently donwloaded and updated.No error in the process of downloading or updating.
> >
> > Does anyone have similar experiences or have an idea of how to fix it?
>
>
> I don't experience this problem, using the same Matlab (R2010a 64 bit) and most recent psychtoolbox version, on Mac OS 10.8.2 (MacBook Pro 2.8Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 G RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 Mo), irrespective of the loading of the custom PsychtoolboxKernelDriver. I also tested it using octave (3.6.2, obtained via Homebrew), and PsychtoolboxKernelDriver. No problem either.
>
> Sorry to not help more
> Best,
>
> Matthieu
>
hey, it looks like a font problem.

firstly, try resetting the font cache. you can use this free program to do it:

http://www.jamapi.com/pr/fn/

--- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "zhyuxuan2000" wrote:
>
> Hi, Matthieu,
>
> I also got no problem when trying my code on a 64 bit Macbook pro retina, Mountain Lion 10.8.X.
>
> I am thinking of upgrading my operation system to 10.8 if finding no other way out. Do you think it sensible?
>
> Yuxuan
>
>
>
> --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "Matthieu Dubois" wrote:
> >
> > Hi Yu-Xuan,
> >
> >
> > --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "zhyuxuan2000" wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > 5 GB memory
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Matthieu
> >
>
Ha! Restoring the font files resolves the problem.Thank you very, very much for saving me many more days of anguish!

>
>
> hmmm, maybe it's a corrupt font installed in your system.
>
> start up Font Book (it's in your Applications folder), and running the Validate function on all the installed fonts...
>
>
> --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "zhyuxuan2000" wrote:
> >
> > The problem persists after running FontNuke, including a deep traversal.
> >
> >
> > --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "elladawu" wrote:
> > >
> > > hey, it looks like a font problem.
> > >
> > > firstly, try resetting the font cache. you can use this free program to do it:
> > >
> > > http://www.jamapi.com/pr/fn/
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "zhyuxuan2000" wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Hi, Matthieu,
> > > >
> > > > I also got no problem when trying my code on a 64 bit Macbook pro retina, Mountain Lion 10.8.X.
> > > >
> > > > I am thinking of upgrading my operation system to 10.8 if finding no other way out. Do you think it sensible?
> > > >
> > > > Yuxuan
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "Matthieu Dubois" wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > Hi Yu-Xuan,
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "zhyuxuan2000" wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Hi,
> > > > > > Whenever a PTB windown is opened (e.g., run DotDemo or DriftDemo), the screen goes black and the demo won't proceed.The cursor can be seen and moved but there is no way to switch back to other programs or matlab command window. Typing 'Close All' or 'Screen('CloseAll') does not work. The only way to regain control is to force a restart using the power key. Auditory demos run well.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > My system (64 bit):
> > > > > > Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5
> > > > > > 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
> > > > > > Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
> > > > > > 5 GB memory
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Matlab: R2010a
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Psychtoolbox:3.0.10; recently donwloaded and updated.No error in the process of downloading or updating.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Does anyone have similar experiences or have an idea of how to fix it?
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > I don't experience this problem, using the same Matlab (R2010a 64 bit) and most recent psychtoolbox version, on Mac OS 10.8.2 (MacBook Pro 2.8Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 G RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 Mo), irrespective of the loading of the custom PsychtoolboxKernelDriver. I also tested it using octave (3.6.2, obtained via Homebrew), and PsychtoolboxKernelDriver. No problem either.
> > > > >
> > > > > Sorry to not help more
> > > > > Best,
> > > > >
> > > > > Matthieu
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
>