Gstreamer path change leads to PTB fatal error on MS Windows

Hi Mario and all,

I recently did a standard install of PTB on Octave 5.1 / Windows 10.

I was careful to install Gstreamer, with all the optional components, and deleted the file opengl32.dll in Octave before attempting to run DownloadPsychtoolbox.

The result was the familiar “You don’t have Gstreamer installed…” error message. However, Gstreamer was very much installed, and recognised by Windows as well as being clearly present in C:\gstreamer.

The issue is that PTB looks for a path “C:\gstreamer\1.0\x86_64” and those nice people at Gstreamer now use the default install path “C:\gstreamer\1.0\msvc_x86_64”.

If that folder is renamed to “x86_64” the installation completes (almost) successfully - in fact it continues to complain about gstreamer not being present because the env variable GSTREAMER_1_0_ROOT_X86_64 is undefined… but it can recover from this error and PTB will run.

Thanks for reading

Eric
QinetiQ Ltd
UK

Yes, i know. That’s why the upcoming next PTB 3.0.17 release will require use of GStreamer 1.18 or later, and have a fix for this. Probably next week.

Many thanks. I wasn’t sure if it was known about. I couldn’t find any references online apart from the more common Gstreamer-not-being-installed issue. Great.