Lowest possible verbosity?

Hi everyone,

I'm writing a demo using PTB on a flatscreen display, and PTB is complaining mightly (as it should). But given that these are not lab conditions, I'm happy with what I've got and I'd simply like PTB to leave the command window alone. But so far no success. I'm using the following statements:

Screen('Preference', 'SuppressAllWarnings', 1);
Screen('Preference', 'SkipSyncTests', 1);
Screen('Preference','VisualDebugLevel', 0);
Screen('Preference', 'Verbosity', 0);

but I'm still getting the usual warnings about flip intervals (see below).

How do I make PTB completely quiet? Thanks.

Stéphane

PTB-WARNING: Couldn't even collect one single valid flip interval sample! Sanity range checks failed!
PTB-WARNING: Could be a system bug, or a temporary timing problem. Retrying the procedure might help if
PTB-WARNING: the latter is the culprit.
PTB-WARNING: Couldn't collect valid flip interval samples! Fatal VBL sync failure!
PTB-WARNING: Either synchronization of doublebuffer swapping to the vertical retrace signal of your display is broken,
PTB-WARNING: or the mechanism for detection of swap completion is broken. In any case, this is an operating system or gfx-driver bug!
PTB-WARNING: Couldn't even collect one single valid flip interval sample! Sanity range checks failed!
PTB-WARNING: Could be a system bug, or a temporary timing problem. Retrying the procedure might help if
PTB-WARNING: the latter is the culprit.
PTB-WARNING: Couldn't collect valid flip interval samples! Fatal VBL sync failure!
PTB-WARNING: Either synchronization of doublebuffer swapping to the vertical retrace signal of your display is broken,
PTB-WARNING: or the mechanism for detection of swap completion is broken. In any case, this is an operating system or gfx-driver bug!
Experiment terminated due to escape key press
--- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "stefan_rainville" <stephane.rainville@...> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm writing a demo using PTB on a flatscreen display, and PTB is complaining mightly (as it should). But given that these are not lab

Only if the hardware/driver is broken. A panel by itself won't trigger a warning, as software usually can't detect the mysery caused by panels.

conditions, I'm happy with what I've got and I'd simply like PTB to leave the command window alone. But so far no success. I'm using the following statements:
>
> Screen('Preference', 'SuppressAllWarnings', 1);
> Screen('Preference', 'SkipSyncTests', 1);
> Screen('Preference','VisualDebugLevel', 0);
> Screen('Preference', 'Verbosity', 0);
>
> but I'm still getting the usual warnings about flip intervals (see below).
>
> How do I make PTB completely quiet? Thanks.
>

By fixing the C-Code. This is just some missing check for verbosity > 1, so it always prints those warnings. This specific case is fixed for next beta. A workaround might be a .. 'SkipSyncTests', 2 .. to completely skip calibrations/test. Other ways are PsychTweak('PrepareForVirtualMachine') -- tell ptb there's no point in checking for or complaining about, or optimizing performance for anything, as virtual machines are known to be utterly broken for anything but the most trivial and undemanding demos.

iow. a verbosity of zero should shut it up completely, except for a few cases where checks are missing or impossible in the early startup sequence.

-mario

> Stéphane
>
>
> PTB-WARNING: Couldn't even collect one single valid flip interval sample! Sanity range checks failed!
> PTB-WARNING: Could be a system bug, or a temporary timing problem. Retrying the procedure might help if
> PTB-WARNING: the latter is the culprit.
> PTB-WARNING: Couldn't collect valid flip interval samples! Fatal VBL sync failure!
> PTB-WARNING: Either synchronization of doublebuffer swapping to the vertical retrace signal of your display is broken,
> PTB-WARNING: or the mechanism for detection of swap completion is broken. In any case, this is an operating system or gfx-driver bug!
> PTB-WARNING: Couldn't even collect one single valid flip interval sample! Sanity range checks failed!
> PTB-WARNING: Could be a system bug, or a temporary timing problem. Retrying the procedure might help if
> PTB-WARNING: the latter is the culprit.
> PTB-WARNING: Couldn't collect valid flip interval samples! Fatal VBL sync failure!
> PTB-WARNING: Either synchronization of doublebuffer swapping to the vertical retrace signal of your display is broken,
> PTB-WARNING: or the mechanism for detection of swap completion is broken. In any case, this is an operating system or gfx-driver bug!
> Experiment terminated due to escape key press
>