sync test

Dear All, I am testing a new set up on linux. The output of VBLSyncTest doesn't look very nice, but after I run the command
Screen('Preference', 'SuppressAllWarnings', 1);
the figures VBLSyncTest generates look very nice. My question if whether disabling warnings and comments actually improves syncing or just causes VBLSyncTest not to measure correctly.
thanks
Pablo

Hi Mario, thanks a lot for your response.

When I ran this line
VBLSyncTest(1000, 0, 0.6, 0, 0, 1, 0)
the output is

PTB-WARNING: Flip for window 10 didn't use pageflipping for flip. Visual presentation timing and timestamps are likely unreliable!
PTB-WARNING: Something is misconfigured on your system, otherwise pageflipping would have been used by the graphics driver for reliable timing.
PTB-WARNING: Read the Linux specific section of 'help SyncTrouble' for some common causes and fixes for this problem.

INFO: PTB's Screen('Flip', 10) command seems to have missed the requested stimulus presentation deadline
INFO: a total of 10 times out of a total of 1005 flips during this session.

INFO: This number is fairly accurate (and indicative of real timing problems in your own code or your system)
INFO: if you provided requested stimulus onset times with the 'when' argument of Screen('Flip', window [, when]);
INFO: If you called Screen('Flip', window); without the 'when' argument, this count is more of a ''mild'' indicator
INFO: of timing behaviour than a hard reliable measurement. Large numbers may indicate problems and should at least
INFO: deserve your closer attention. Cfe. 'help SyncTrouble', the FAQ section at www.psychtoolbox.org and the
INFO: examples in the PDF presentation in PsychDocumentation/ Psychtoolbox3-Slides.pdf for more info and timing tips.

PTB missed 73 out of 1000 stimulus presentation deadlines.
One missed deadline is ok and an artifact of the measurement.
PTB completed 0 stimulus presentations before the requested target time.
Have a look at the plots for more details...

but after running Screen('Preference', 'SuppressAllWarnings', 1) or Screen('Preference', 'Verbosity', 0)
the line VBLSyncTest(1000, 0, 0.6, 0, 0, 1, 0) gives

The refresh interval reported by the operating system is 11.76471 ms.
Measured refresh interval, as reported by "GetFlipInterval" is 11.78714 ms. (nsamples = 0, stddev = 0.00000 ms)

PTB missed 1 out of 1000 stimulus presentation deadlines.
One missed deadline is ok and an artifact of the measurement.
PTB completed 0 stimulus presentations before the requested target time.
Have a look at the plots for more details...

The computer: AMD A8-7600 Radeon R7, 4G RAM, running Linux Mint, Matlab R2016a

opengl info gives
Version: '3.0 Mesa 10.1.3'
Vendor: 'X.Org'
Renderer: 'Gallium 0.4 on AMD KAVERI'
MaxTextureSize: 16384
Visual: 'Visual 0x21d, (RGBA 32 bits (8 8 8 8), Z depth 16 bits, Hardware acceleration, D…'
Software: 'false'
HardwareSupportLevel: 'full'
SupportsGraphicsSmoothing: 1
SupportsDepthPeelTransparency: 1
SupportsAlignVertexCenters: 1
Extensions: {188x1 cell}
MaxFrameBufferSize: 16384

Thanks
Pablo

2017-06-07 15:04 GMT-03:00 mario.kleiner@... [PSYCHTOOLBOX] <PSYCHTOOLBOX@yahoogroups.com>:

XX---In PSYCHTOOLBOX@yahoogroups.com, <cabalangofeld@...> wrote :

Dear All, I am testing a new set up on linux. The output of VBLSyncTest doesn't look very nice, but after I run the command
Screen('Preference', 'SuppressAllWarnings', 1);
the figures VBLSyncTest generates look very nice. My question if whether disabling warnings and comments actually improves syncing or just causes VBLSyncTest not to measure correctly.
thanks
Pablo

-> Neither. Be more specific. Post the full PTB output that "doesn't look very nice"? That could mean anything. What's the hardware/software setup, graphics card etc.?

-mario