"didn't use pageflipping for flip"

Hi,

I'm running Psychtoolbox 3.0.11 in Matlab 7.12.0 (32-bit), with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

I keep getting the warning below, whenever a call to Screen is made. I've every fix suggested by SyncTrouble, and some other fixes, to no avail. Any help is much appreciated.

PTB-INFO: OpenGL-Renderer is Tungsten Graphics, Inc :: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset x86/MMX/SSE2 :: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.4
PTB-INFO: VBL startline = 800 , VBL Endline = -1
PTB-INFO: Will try to use OS-Builtin OpenML sync control support for accurate Flip timestamping.
PTB-INFO: Measured monitor refresh interval from VBLsync = 16.866717 ms [59.288359 Hz]. (50 valid samples taken, stddev=0.008159 ms.)
PTB-INFO: Reported monitor refresh interval from operating system = 16.667500 ms [59.997000 Hz].
PTB-INFO: Small deviations between reported values are normal and no reason to worry.
PTB-INFO: Support for fast OffscreenWindows enabled.

PTB-WARNING: Flip for window 10 didn't use pageflipping for flip. Visual presentation timing and timestamps are likely unreliable!
PTB-WARNING: Something is misconfigured on your system, otherwise pageflipping would have been used by the graphics driver for reliable timing.
PTB-WARNING: Read the Linux specific section of 'help SyncTrouble' for some common causes and fixes for this problem.
Is your 12.04 LTS really up to date? Then it should be 12.04.2 LTS by now, ie., the 2nd service pack, and the reported Mesa version in ptb's output should be 9.0.3, not 8.0.4 as yours.

The command...
apt-cache show xserver-xorg-video-intel-lts-raring
... should report Intel driver version 2.21.6.

This would be the first step to make sure you have up to date drivers and stuff.

Then it looks as if the desktop compositor is actively interfering on your setup, not giving ptb direct access to the framebuffer, the main reason for seeing the "pageflipping" warning, so please check you followed "help SyncTrouble"'s instructions for that. Our installer/updater should have done all neccessary setup steps, but some of the output here looks as if neither PsychLinuxConfiguration or the PsychGPUControl weren't run properly to completion.

One hint of the compositor being still active is if you run PerceptualVBLSyncTest and you get black white flicker which is more of a slower blinking than a fast nice 60 Hz flicker.

-mario

--- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "faithfulpilate" <daniel.p.bliss@...> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Psychtoolbox 3.0.11 in Matlab 7.12.0 (32-bit), with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.
>
> I keep getting the warning below, whenever a call to Screen is made. I've every fix suggested by SyncTrouble, and some other fixes, to no avail. Any help is much appreciated.
>
> PTB-INFO: OpenGL-Renderer is Tungsten Graphics, Inc :: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset x86/MMX/SSE2 :: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.4
> PTB-INFO: VBL startline = 800 , VBL Endline = -1
> PTB-INFO: Will try to use OS-Builtin OpenML sync control support for accurate Flip timestamping.
> PTB-INFO: Measured monitor refresh interval from VBLsync = 16.866717 ms [59.288359 Hz]. (50 valid samples taken, stddev=0.008159 ms.)
> PTB-INFO: Reported monitor refresh interval from operating system = 16.667500 ms [59.997000 Hz].
> PTB-INFO: Small deviations between reported values are normal and no reason to worry.
> PTB-INFO: Support for fast OffscreenWindows enabled.
>
> PTB-WARNING: Flip for window 10 didn't use pageflipping for flip. Visual presentation timing and timestamps are likely unreliable!
> PTB-WARNING: Something is misconfigured on your system, otherwise pageflipping would have been used by the graphics driver for reliable timing.
> PTB-WARNING: Read the Linux specific section of 'help SyncTrouble' for some common causes and fixes for this problem.
>
Also, did you follow the instructions to disable triple-buffering on your intel graphics card?

One way to do this can be found here:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=149323

Except that the lines...

Option "SwapbuffersWait" "Off"
Option "ModeDebug" "yes"

... shouldn't be in the file the poster on that thread created.

Make sure to log out and log in again after creating such a file and make sure that your /var/log/XOrg.0.log does contain the info that triplebuffering is disabled.

-mario

--- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "Mario" <mario.kleiner@...> wrote:
>
>
>
> Is your 12.04 LTS really up to date? Then it should be 12.04.2 LTS by now, ie., the 2nd service pack, and the reported Mesa version in ptb's output should be 9.0.3, not 8.0.4 as yours.
>
> The command...
> apt-cache show xserver-xorg-video-intel-lts-raring
> ... should report Intel driver version 2.21.6.
>
> This would be the first step to make sure you have up to date drivers and stuff.
>
> Then it looks as if the desktop compositor is actively interfering on your setup, not giving ptb direct access to the framebuffer, the main reason for seeing the "pageflipping" warning, so please check you followed "help SyncTrouble"'s instructions for that. Our installer/updater should have done all neccessary setup steps, but some of the output here looks as if neither PsychLinuxConfiguration or the PsychGPUControl weren't run properly to completion.
>
> One hint of the compositor being still active is if you run PerceptualVBLSyncTest and you get black white flicker which is more of a slower blinking than a fast nice 60 Hz flicker.
>
> -mario
>
> --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "faithfulpilate" <daniel.p.bliss@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm running Psychtoolbox 3.0.11 in Matlab 7.12.0 (32-bit), with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.
> >
> > I keep getting the warning below, whenever a call to Screen is made. I've every fix suggested by SyncTrouble, and some other fixes, to no avail. Any help is much appreciated.
> >
> > PTB-INFO: OpenGL-Renderer is Tungsten Graphics, Inc :: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset x86/MMX/SSE2 :: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.4
> > PTB-INFO: VBL startline = 800 , VBL Endline = -1
> > PTB-INFO: Will try to use OS-Builtin OpenML sync control support for accurate Flip timestamping.
> > PTB-INFO: Measured monitor refresh interval from VBLsync = 16.866717 ms [59.288359 Hz]. (50 valid samples taken, stddev=0.008159 ms.)
> > PTB-INFO: Reported monitor refresh interval from operating system = 16.667500 ms [59.997000 Hz].
> > PTB-INFO: Small deviations between reported values are normal and no reason to worry.
> > PTB-INFO: Support for fast OffscreenWindows enabled.
> >
> > PTB-WARNING: Flip for window 10 didn't use pageflipping for flip. Visual presentation timing and timestamps are likely unreliable!
> > PTB-WARNING: Something is misconfigured on your system, otherwise pageflipping would have been used by the graphics driver for reliable timing.
> > PTB-WARNING: Read the Linux specific section of 'help SyncTrouble' for some common causes and fixes for this problem.
> >
>