NeuroDebian vs. DownloadPsychtoolbox

I used to use DownloadPsychtoolbox with SVN for installations on Ubuntu (quite some time ago). Recently, I’ve been using NeuroDebian which works well but I know the versions can lag just a little bit. I see in 3.0.17 there is now a new DownloadPsychtoolbox version. I’m curious about which is now the preferred method for installation? Any advantages/disadvantages of the two methods on Ubuntu? Thanks!

The same as before. NeuroDebian is most convenient, but can at times lag behind the latest beta a little bit, as the release of ND is handled by the NeuroDebian guys, which do this as volunteers with day jobs in research, and a life. Atm. i haven’t even found the time to notify Yaroslav that there is a new 3.0.17 and therefore work to do for him. It’s conceivable that 3.0.17 may need a bit more time once he gets started on it, as it introduces new dependencies, e.g., on the Vulkan loader for the new PsychVulkanCore mex file, new minimum requirement for GStreamer version etc.

Sometimes the ND version may miss exotic bits mostly due to me telling Yaroslav about them. If you don’t need the absolute bleeding edge immediately then NeuroDebian should be the far most convenient way of having a PTB on Linux. Otherwise there’s always DownloadPsychtoolbox/UpdatePsychtoolbox or even a direct Git checkout + SetupPsychtoolbox.

-mario

Thanks. Seems like ND continues to be a good choice, and since it’s what I’m used to recently I’ll likely go with that unless I have issues.