NVIDIA 3D Vision w/Linux

Hi All,

Has anyone had any luck with NVIDIA 3D vision setups under linux? I'm using a dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu 11.04 machine. The 3D setup works under Windows 7. The 3D demo from the 3dvgl project (see: http://users.csc.calpoly.edu/~rsomers/cpe572/ ) also works nicely, it initializes the emitter and shows a nice 3D demo. The problem comes when using the PTB -- for example, when running StereoDemo, PTB3 fails to initialize the NVIDIA 3D emitter, because the emitter just glows a pale green, I think there's a problem initializing the emitter.

Setup: The graphics card is a Quardo 3700 FX and the monitor a ViewSonic vx2265wm and that 3dvgl works means that my xorg.conf file is probably correct.

Mario -- is there some reason to think this should not work, i.e., there no support for initializing the emitter under linux?

Best,

CPT

p.s. I know I could just use Windows 7... and I have been but... y'know.
--- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "C.P. Taylor" <taylorcp@...> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> Has anyone had any luck with NVIDIA 3D vision setups under linux? I'm using a dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu 11.04 machine. The 3D setup works under Windows 7. The 3D demo from the 3dvgl project (see: http://users.csc.calpoly.edu/~rsomers/cpe572/ ) also works nicely, it initializes the emitter and shows a nice 3D demo. The problem comes when using the PTB -- for example, when running StereoDemo, PTB3 fails to initialize the NVIDIA 3D emitter, because the emitter just glows a pale green, I think there's a problem initializing the emitter.
>
> Setup: The graphics card is a Quardo 3700 FX and the monitor a ViewSonic vx2265wm and that 3dvgl works means that my xorg.conf file is probably correct.
>
> Mario -- is there some reason to think this should not work, i.e., there no support for initializing the emitter under linux?
>

Should work. The Quadro FX 3700 has a 3-pin mini din stereo connector, which should be able to drive the 3d nvidia vision kit. If your xorg.conf is set up correctly it should "just work(tm)", e.g., with StereoDemo(1). The USB based method isn't supported under Linux by Nvidia. In general, NVidia only supports OpenGL stereo for their Quadro cards. The website you're referring to is a do-it-yourself method of getting the emitter working, based on reverse-engineering the vision kit. It needs special support by the toolkit -- won't work with current ptb, although i'm planning to add that sometime probably next year.

The readme file that comes with the nvidia driver should have a "stereo" section with configuration instructions for xorg.conf.

best,
-mario