PTB Tesla 3D Vision

Hi,

I'm trying to run the StereoDemo with flip frame stereo using the NVidia 3D Vision kit.

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit OS, Matlab 32 bit version and PTB-3.

I've got everything running successfully with an NVidia Quadro series graphics card on one pc. However, on another machine, I have an NVidia Tesla c2070 graphics card, and I can't seem to get it to work.

Running StereoDemo(1) gives me the following:

PTB-ERROR: OpenGL native stereo mode unavailable. Your hardware may not support it,
PTB-ERROR: or at least not on a flat-panel? Expect abortion of your script soon...
PTB-ERROR: Asked for OpenGL native stereo (frame-sequential mode) but this doesn't seem to be supported by your graphics hardware or driver.

I've looked online and I can't figure out if the problem is with the graphics card or with some setting I'm missing. Has anyone successfully used flip frame stereo on Psychtoolbox with the Tesla c2070?

Thanks,

Guido
I don't think that the Tesla supports native frame-sequential stereo? Only a subset of the Quadro's does this on Windows.

Is your PTB up to date? Because it should choose a fallback implementation if it is. The fallback can work good enough for simple stimuli on operating systems with good timing (iow. only very seldomly on MS-Windoze). But then it probably still wouldn't work with the NVidia vision kit, as it doesn't recognize blue-line sync signals for driving the goggles, so a special hardware driver would be needed.

-mario

--- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "guido_maiello" wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to run the StereoDemo with flip frame stereo using the NVidia 3D Vision kit.
>
> I'm using Windows 7 64 bit OS, Matlab 32 bit version and PTB-3.
>
> I've got everything running successfully with an NVidia Quadro series graphics card on one pc. However, on another machine, I have an NVidia Tesla c2070 graphics card, and I can't seem to get it to work.
>
> Running StereoDemo(1) gives me the following:
>
>
> PTB-ERROR: OpenGL native stereo mode unavailable. Your hardware may not support it,
> PTB-ERROR: or at least not on a flat-panel? Expect abortion of your script soon...
> PTB-ERROR: Asked for OpenGL native stereo (frame-sequential mode) but this doesn't seem to be supported by your graphics hardware or driver.
>
>
> I've looked online and I can't figure out if the problem is with the graphics card or with some setting I'm missing. Has anyone successfully used flip frame stereo on Psychtoolbox with the Tesla c2070?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Guido
>
Regarding current nVidia stereo:

I'm not sure about the frame-sequential per se, which I think
is still supported in some forms. But support of a couple of
classic syncronization methods has been dropped from the
newer nVidia graphics cards, particularly "Blueline" and DDC
(stereo modes 1 & 2). See the listings for 'Option "Stereo"' in the webpage
ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/295.20/README/xconfigoptions.html .

I don't know particularly about the Tesla, but this is the part
of the documentation you want to find to check for this issue.

(BTW, I no longer remember the details, but when I was trying to
setup some kind of stereo with a new laptop, I found out that
the new VisionPro option wouldn't work for Linux).
Meanwhile, I found that DCC syncronization now malfunctions in
the current nVidia Linux Drivers. If the Tesla has a three-pin DIN
connector, you [Guido] might try some method that will work with that.

-AK

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 05:45:52PM -0000, Mario wrote:
> I don't think that the Tesla supports native frame-sequential stereo? Only a subset of the Quadro's does this on Windows.
>
> Is your PTB up to date? Because it should choose a fallback implementation if it is. The fallback can work good enough for simple stimuli on operating systems with good timing (iow. only very seldomly on MS-Windoze). But then it probably still wouldn't work with the NVidia vision kit, as it doesn't recognize blue-line sync signals for driving the goggles, so a special hardware driver would be needed.
>
> -mario
>
> --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "guido_maiello" wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to run the StereoDemo with flip frame stereo using the NVidia 3D Vision kit.
> >
> > I'm using Windows 7 64 bit OS, Matlab 32 bit version and PTB-3.
> >
> > I've got everything running successfully with an NVidia Quadro series graphics card on one pc. However, on another machine, I have an NVidia Tesla c2070 graphics card, and I can't seem to get it to work.
> >
> > Running StereoDemo(1) gives me the following:
> >
> >
> > PTB-ERROR: OpenGL native stereo mode unavailable. Your hardware may not support it,
> > PTB-ERROR: or at least not on a flat-panel? Expect abortion of your script soon...
> > PTB-ERROR: Asked for OpenGL native stereo (frame-sequential mode) but this doesn't seem to be supported by your graphics hardware or driver.
> >
> >
> > I've looked online and I can't figure out if the problem is with the graphics card or with some setting I'm missing. Has anyone successfully used flip frame stereo on Psychtoolbox with the Tesla c2070?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Guido
> >
>
>
Blue line sync is also available from PTB, as are many other stereo modes. But the ability for the graphics driver to do frame-sequential stereo and drive a vesa mini-din connector or usb based emitters is harder to replicate for us reliably. E.g., frame-seq is supported by our own implementation, but can't work as reliable under high graphics load or bad operating systems as a native implementation by the graphics driver. Driving emitters other than blue line sync is not supported by us atm.

My comment was regarding native stereo. NVidia and AMD only support native stereo on their pro cards NVidia QuadroXXX and AMD FireXXX, not for consumer cards like GeForce or Radeon. The gaming stuff you get for normal GeForce cards from NVidia is Direct3D only, not on OpenGL. And the Direct3D gaming implementation afaik is not really "research-grade" because it doesn't allow control over your stimuli. It uses heuristics to derive the 3d scene structure from an image rendered from one viewpoint and the content of the depth buffer, essentially reconstructing or approximating the 3d information. It may be good enough to fake some ok binocular images for video games, but not for controlled stimulus presentation.

-mario

--- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, Allan Kugel wrote:
>
> Regarding current nVidia stereo:
>
> I'm not sure about the frame-sequential per se, which I think
> is still supported in some forms. But support of a couple of
> classic syncronization methods has been dropped from the
> newer nVidia graphics cards, particularly "Blueline" and DDC
> (stereo modes 1 & 2). See the listings for 'Option "Stereo"' in the webpage
> ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/295.20/README/xconfigoptions.html .
>
> I don't know particularly about the Tesla, but this is the part
> of the documentation you want to find to check for this issue.
>
> (BTW, I no longer remember the details, but when I was trying to
> setup some kind of stereo with a new laptop, I found out that
> the new VisionPro option wouldn't work for Linux).
> Meanwhile, I found that DCC syncronization now malfunctions in
> the current nVidia Linux Drivers. If the Tesla has a three-pin DIN
> connector, you [Guido] might try some method that will work with that.
>
> -AK
>
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 05:45:52PM -0000, Mario wrote:
> > I don't think that the Tesla supports native frame-sequential stereo? Only a subset of the Quadro's does this on Windows.
> >
> > Is your PTB up to date? Because it should choose a fallback implementation if it is. The fallback can work good enough for simple stimuli on operating systems with good timing (iow. only very seldomly on MS-Windoze). But then it probably still wouldn't work with the NVidia vision kit, as it doesn't recognize blue-line sync signals for driving the goggles, so a special hardware driver would be needed.
> >
> > -mario
> >
> > --- In psychtoolbox@yahoogroups.com, "guido_maiello" wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm trying to run the StereoDemo with flip frame stereo using the NVidia 3D Vision kit.
> > >
> > > I'm using Windows 7 64 bit OS, Matlab 32 bit version and PTB-3.
> > >
> > > I've got everything running successfully with an NVidia Quadro series graphics card on one pc. However, on another machine, I have an NVidia Tesla c2070 graphics card, and I can't seem to get it to work.
> > >
> > > Running StereoDemo(1) gives me the following:
> > >
> > >
> > > PTB-ERROR: OpenGL native stereo mode unavailable. Your hardware may not support it,
> > > PTB-ERROR: or at least not on a flat-panel? Expect abortion of your script soon...
> > > PTB-ERROR: Asked for OpenGL native stereo (frame-sequential mode) but this doesn't seem to be supported by your graphics hardware or driver.
> > >
> > >
> > > I've looked online and I can't figure out if the problem is with the graphics card or with some setting I'm missing. Has anyone successfully used flip frame stereo on Psychtoolbox with the Tesla c2070?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Guido
> > >
> >
> >
>