Octave Compatibility

I am trying to use psychtoolbox-3 with Octave 7.2.0 (deb package on Ubuntu 22.10), and repeatedly running into some issues. To be specific, when I install psychtoolbox from inside Octave using the download script I always get an warning towards the end that says “this version of psychtoolbox is not compatible with your version of Octave”, and asks me use the latest version from 6.x for some reason. This can be skipped, and psychtoolbox installs fine. PsychLinuxConfiguration through no-gui mode also runs without issues.

However, every time I try to use basic functions I am getting “not defined” errors. For instance,Screen(‘[FillRect)’, windowPtr [,color] [,rect] ); returns windowPtr not defined.

Also, while Screen returns a detailed description of the function, help Screen again returns a Screen not defined error.

I will appreciate any feedback, and apologies if I haven’t described everything properly.

PTB 3.0.18 wasn’t thoroughly tested with Octave 7 before the last update, so the Downloader doesn’t have Octave 7.2 in its list of known good versions.

Insufficient funding due to 99% of our users not caring about funding quality software for quality research → No time for proper extensive testing, because time is money. Should likely work fine though, according to my light spot-testing since then on Ubuntu 22.10/Windows10/macOS 12 each of these OS versions only tested for a few hours instead of the multiple days or sometimes weeks, as in the past. The safer bet is sticking to Ubuntu LTS releases which get way more testing and attention from me, although due to lack of funding even the recommended Ubuntu 22.04-LTS received less stringent testing than the by now outdated Ubuntu 20.04-LTS.

The command you posted is completely bogus, no surprise it errors out. Try running some of our demos in PsychDemos, read through some of them or Peter’s tutorials to learn proper basic use.

Edit: The upcoming PTB 3.0.19 will be compatible with Octave 7.x on Linux and require Octave 7.3 on Windows and macOS. All only lightly tested due to lack of funding for proper testing.

-mario