Oculus Rift CV1

Hi!

In an other thread I've read about the new oculus drivers being ready but their release dependant on a contract with oculus. Any news about that contract? I'd like to present head fixed stimuli (2D) with the new Oculus Rift CV1 on a win10 setup. But apparently nothing seems to work. The old runtime cannot deal with the new rift, and the PTB3 cannot deal with the new runtime.

Is there any way to pass this, or should I just wait for an update?

Thanks!

András

XXXIn PSYCHTOOLBOX@yahoogroups.com, <benyheandras@...> wrote :

Hi!

In an other thread I've read about the new oculus drivers being ready but their release dependant on a contract with oculus. Any news about that contract? I'd like to present head fixed stimuli (2D) with the new Oculus Rift CV1 on a win10 setup. But apparently nothing seems to work. The old runtime cannot deal with the new rift, and the PTB3 cannot deal with the new runtime.

Is there any way to pass this, or should I just wait for an update?

-> Hi Andras,

sadly the fate of that contract is completely unclear atm., and so i can't make any predictions if or when or under what conditions the driver will be released. So far we spent the better part of multiple months miscommunicating and misunderstanding under which conditions they'd get the driver they want and i'd get the money i want, after i've done all the work to create a Windows-7/10 driver for 64-Bit GNU/Octave -- no Matlab version. After some confusion cleared up, i didn't like what they proposed as a deal at all. Needless to say, I can't release this driver without somebody paying the bill, as the development costs so far are over 22.000 Euros which i have to recover one way or the other. It's not totally hopeless, but complicated, and i can't take any risks here anymore, given the non-existent funding of Psychtoolbox and my mostly used up life savings, which kept PTB running the last 4 years. So wrt. full VR support for the CV1 or other future Occulus products, "stay tuned" is the best i can say. Of course in the unlikely case that you have ~ 22.000 Euros at your free disposal for contract work, contact me immediately.

However, if all you want to do is use the Rift CV1 as a "strapped onto the head" stereo-monitor, you could use the PsychOpenHMDVR driver under 64-Bit Linux. It is yet another PTB VR driver for Linux only, which uses the OpenHMD open-source VR library and thereby supports devices that OpenHMD supports, at whatever quality and feature-set OpenHMD currently implements. For the CV1 this means stereoscopic rendering and display at reasonable quality, and head orientation/rotation tracking for simple 3D VR with a stationary observer, but no absolute positional tracking, no support for the Oculus touch controllers, no other bells and whistles. "help PsychOpenHMDVR" for more info.

-mario

Thanks!

András