Oculus Rift SDK0.7

Hello,

I have been using an Oculus Rift successfully with psychtoolbox on a mac. However, given that Oculus are no longer supporting macs, I have switched to a PC running Windows 10 (Windows 10 rather than an earlier version is necessary for other software we are running). In psychtoolbox the help suggests that the Oculus must be used with extended desktop mode, which (I understand) has not been supported since SDK0.7. Earlier versions of the SDK do not fully support Windows 10.

The psychtoolbox VR demos don't run on the system I am now using, I guess because extended desktop mode is not possible. The Rift works fine on the system using Unity. 

Has anyone had success using the Oculus Rift with psychtoolbox with SDK0.7 or 0.8? Or in Direct mode? I would be grateful for any tips anyone can offer!

Jenny Bosten (University of Sussex). 

XX---In PSYCHTOOLBOX@yahoogroups.com, <jennybosten@...> wrote :

Hello,

I have been using an Oculus Rift successfully with psychtoolbox on a mac. However, given that Oculus are no longer supporting macs, I have switched to a PC running Windows 10 (Windows 10 rather than an earlier version is necessary for other software we are running). In psychtoolbox the help suggests that the Oculus must be used with extended desktop mode, which (I understand) has not been supported since SDK0.7. Earlier versions of the SDK do not fully support Windows 10.

The psychtoolbox VR demos don't run on the system I am now using, I guess because extended desktop mode is not possible. The Rift works fine on the system using Unity. 

Has anyone had success using the Oculus Rift with psychtoolbox with SDK0.7 or 0.8? Or in Direct mode? I would be grateful for any tips anyone can offer!

-> Hi Jenny, for the moment you are out of luck. As "help OculusVR" states, the current PTB only supports SDK version 0.5, the only version that supports all operating systems. If downgrading to 0.5 is not possible on Windows-10 then you'll need some other machine or dual-boot with v0.5 installed to run PTB.

I plan to port PTB's code to SDK version 1.0 for Windows (and Linux, once it is available for it - later this year according to the latest statements i heard of Oculus), which will require some substantial changes because the 1.0 SDK works very differently from the earlier SDK's, but i assume it will be at least a month or two until i get started on that -- with no guarantees. As long as i haven't managed to set up a business around PTB development and received sufficient financial community funding to make that a viable option to earn my living any of my plans and time estimates are nothing anybody should critically rely on.

-mario

Jenny Bosten (University of Sussex).