The video created with PTB is blurred with mosaic

Hello,

I was trying to create a video with Screen ‘CreateMovie’ and Screen ‘AddFrameToMovie’. I found some frames in the video were like being blurred with mosaic (see the following picture), especially those represented a dynamic scene.

I have run the code for making movie with different computers of our lab. Sometimes the video frames drawn on the screen were blurred, sometimes the video frames on the screen were normal but those saved in the video file were blurred.

Does anyone know why this happened?

Thanks in advance!

I don’t understand what you mean with “video frames drawn on the screen were blurred”? Obviously if you take a screenshot of blurred frames with ‘AddFrameToMovie’, then the content in the movie file will also be blurred?

You also lack any sample code, or description of your system (PTB version, operating system, GStreamer version etc.).

Seems the video bit rate in the recorded movie is too low, or compression level too high, or other unsuitable codec settings to deal with fast dynamic movement of high detail content of your image frames, so some of that needs adjustments wrt. to what you currently use.

Did you follow the sample code in ImagingStereoDemo.m or the advise in help VideoRecording? Or start with the settings in ImagingStereoDemo.m and then crank up the Videoquality=0.5 orr Profile settings chosen there if the ones in the demo are insufficient? The default Videoquality if omitted is currently 0.1 - the lowest setting for a speed-quality tradeoff that favors speed over quality. This is meant to allow realtime video encoding at high framerates for live video capture + recording from a camera. It was last evaluated as good choice for hardware from the year 2011, so is probably way too conservative for todays tech.

For up to 30 minutes more paid advice → help PsychPaidSupportAndServices.
-mario

Hi Mario,

Thanks for your reply. I previously used the default parameters for Screen ‘CreateMovie’. As you suggested, now I use a higher bit rate for the movie. The video is clear. :+1: