Screen('CloseMovie') freezes inconsistently

Hello,

This seems to be similar to Silent crash with Screen(CloseMovie) on macOS Catalina - #6 by dcnieho
I am running an experiment in which I present videos in some of the trials. The videos are opened, played, and closed for a trial, however, sometimes Matlab simply freezes - it won’t react to keypresses and no error messages are being printed. However, the error is not associated with the same movies (i. e., the same movie will work sometimes and sometimes not). So what I’ve tried is a for loop with 1000 iterations in which I open the same movie (see media info screenshot below for details), play a couple of frames and then close it. This will work for a good portion of the iterations, but eventually freeze.

I am using macOS 10.13.5 (High Sierra) on a mac mini (2014) and PTB 3.0.14 with GStreamer 1.0-1.18.5. This issue is reproducible on another setup with the same hardware, OS, PTB and GStreamer. It is not reproducible on my Windows 11 Dell XPS 15 laptop.

Any help would be appreciated!

Best wishes,
Dominik

This refers to an outdated and unsupported PTB version on an outdated and unsupported operating system, with an old GStreamer version. Upgrade your software, beginning with GStreamer, and if the problem persists, feel free to post a paid support authentication token for up to 30 minutes of work.